Endless and I mean endless problems with Chrome and "Browser could not be verified"

doctorbee54
doctorbee54
Community Member

I have been a mostly satisfied user for years now. But ... every time I update I get this nonsense... Is there some way once and for all to forget about this browser verification? It is getting in the way of my life. Only seems to be a problem with Chrome, my fave browser. every dumb little update I have to start all all over again. And now despite resorting Chrome, restarting my laptop, I still cant use one password on chrome.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Endless and I mean endless problems with Chrome and "Browser could not be verified"

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@doctorbee54: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! We don't frequently have updates for the 1Password browser extensions, but you're right that we had two in roughly the last week due to an issue with some configurations. So that's probably frustrated you even further. Sorry about that. When you say "every time I update", what are you referring to: Chrome, 1Password, the extension?

Just to clarify, you've posted in the 1Password 3 category of the forums, but you seem to indicate you're actually running 1Password 6 — albeit a slightly outdated version. If you are using 1Password 3, please verify exactly which versions of the app and extension you're using (since you left that out) and we'll figure out the best way forward. 1Password 3 was developed in 2009 and supports OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. El Capitan in particular introduced a number of incompatibilities. You can read more details in the announcement at the top of this forum category:

1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

However, if you are using 1Password 6, please follow these steps to get up to date, as that may solve your problem right off the bat:

1. Update Chrome completely
    2. Remove the 1Password extension
    3. Drag the 1Password app to the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install a fresh copy of 1Password
    6. Install a fresh copy of the extension

At that point you should have to authorize the browser connection exactly once. But if you're still having trouble with this, the best thing to do will be generate a diagnostic report immediately so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• ewpreston
    ewpreston
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

I've updated chrome and now I get Browser cannot be verified. I searched the forums.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.11.6 (15G1421)

My 1password extension is

1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.5.90
    1Password extension for Google Chrome

1password app is 6.6.4 (664002)

There are no app store updates; I've checked.

You've got to make this easier.

After doing all the above I got it working again. Maybe put this at the top of your support page?

• @ewpreston,

1Password 6.7 should be available as an update in the App Store at this point, and should've been when you originally posted your post. 6.7 and newer are the only versions that have the current and correct signature for Chrome's browsers.

Rudy

• ewpreston
    ewpreston
    Community Member

Well it wasn't. I checked the app store, nothing.

• @ewpreston,

have you tried signing out and back into App Store.app?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager-and-secure-wallet/id443987910?mt=12 shows 6.7 to be the current version.

Rudy

• ewpreston
    ewpreston
    Community Member

Too late, I've already got it installed and working. Just would have been nice to a) have it be there and b) have you guys actually say something about it without having to search forums.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ewpreston: Also, kept in mind that the Mac App Store won't offer you an update if you're running the AgileBits Store version. That may be worth double checking, but if the App Store is still not allowing you to update it's version normally, you'll need to drag it to the Trash and install a fresh copy. Let me know how it turns out!

• ewpreston
    ewpreston
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mw23isxq9auknel/Screenshot 2017-05-09 14.34.18.png?dl=0

I did drag it to the trash, rebooted (which by the way does have its downsides, despite what you say, when I'm trying to get work done), reinstalled via the appstore, reinstalled the extension, and Magic! It finally works again. I really like 1Password when I don't have to spend half a day figuring out how to get it running again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@ewpreston: Me too. Unfortunately, like any 3rd party app, 1Password doesn't have control over the App Store or its update process. If you continue having issues there, be sure to contact Apple so they can help. Alternatively, shoot us an email with your receipt at support+licenses@agilebits.com and post your Support ID here; we can get you an AgileBits Store license. Have a great week! :)

• doctorbee54
    doctorbee54
    Community Member

ok, You're right I am in the wrong place, I am running v 6.6.2 not v. 3
    But ... I still cant get this to go, and it seems to happen over and over again, every time I update. I finally caved and unchecked "Verify Browser code signature" and since then life is easier, but of course I'm worried that I'm not secure. There's something about this that is seriously not good for the end user...

• @doctorbee54,

You'll definitely want to update to 6.7(Mac App Store) or 6.7.1(AgileBits Store). Lets start by figuring out which version you're using... If you click About 1Password under the 1Password menu it should tell you which version you're running.

Rudy

• doctorbee54
    doctorbee54
    Community Member

Ah that's just it, Every time I do install the slightest little upgrade (and most of the time these are ridiculous little upgrades, I have to upgrade on all 3 of my machines, and then go through this whole absurd "browser could not be verified" song and dance. I'm just not doing it any more. You guys should be aware that you are going to lose long time loyal customers, as browsers have much easier procedures now for password management - something 1password was so great at for a long time. But if you make upgrading so difficult and so frequent, your customers are just going to give it
    up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

I'm sorry you feel that way. We generally don't release updates very close together, and when we do they typically don't require browser re-authorization — but of course a lot of that depends on your setup and what you do with the browser, and we just don't have any control over that. To put things in perspective, 6.7 and 6.7.1 were realized nearly a month ago, and the previous version was more than a month before that. And while we'll continue to strive to improve the experience for all 1Password users, we're not going to hold back updates when they're ready just because they might be inconvenient for a small minority when they include improvements and fixes that benefit many more people. However, browsers (especially Chrome) often receive more frequent updates, and those can sometimes cause hiccups and require a restart to get things working again. That's not really something we can really take the blame for.

But certainly if you have any difficulty updating 1Password, let us know so we can see if there's something we can do to help you. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening in your system that might cause this to happen:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you.

• thu75
    thu75
    Community Member

I totally agree to @doctorbee54. I reached the same point now. Of course there are instructions to solve the issue but this is effort on my side! I work on a Mac without rebooting for weeks. I have plenty of apps opened concurrently and it takes some time to get there and every "solution" like rebooting or just logout and login again is a slap in the face. It is your turn to figure out a stable upgrade procedure and not to bother your customers with any effort to get this done. Your forum is full of postings about this. Come on guys!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@thu75: The vast majority of users are not experiencing this issue, even those using betas. A few folks here have had trouble with this, and I'm sorry that you're one of them. We'd very much like to help. Unfortunately it isn't something we've been able to reproduce (and we — and beta users — update much more often than most folks), and without any diagnostic information from anyone experiencing this issue, our own testing is the only thing we have to go on, and can only speculate on what may be causing this with your configuration.

It sounds like things are working for you again, and frankly knowing some details about what happened in the first place in your case and what exactly you did to resolve the issue may help us pinpoint the cause and improve 1Password in the future to help avoid it for you and others, so I'd appreciate any information you'd be willing to provide.

And if you do encounter any further issues, please send a diagnostics report to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can take a look at what happened. Just include a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs, so that, again, we can find a way to avoid you running into trouble in the future...but, perhaps more importantly, you can get help when you need it most.

This discussion has been closed.