Code signature could not be verified: Firefox 53 and 1Password 4 for Mac

GeoffreyStaines
GeoffreyStaines
Community Member
edited May 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

When I try to autofill a form on Firefox 53.0.3 (64-bit) (Mac), the following message appears:

Cannot Fill Item in Firefox
Firefox is connected but its code signature could not be verified. Filling and other features are disabled until this configuration issue is resolved.

This problem occurs when I try from the full app of the extension.

Autofill worked yesterday.

Thanks.

1Password 4.4.3, extension 4.6.5, OS X 10.9.5.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. My system information and 1 Password version are the same as yours. This just started happening this morning.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

Hi @GeoffreyStaines & @hschaars,

It seems like there has been a change to the code signature for Firefox. Even a single character difference results in the code validation failing. The only recourse for those running the older 1Password 4 for Mac is to disable the browser code signature check which we've mentioned in our announcement 1Password 4 legacy support information.

I was aware of Chrome prior to it happening, I hadn't realised there was something similar going to happen to Firefox until I saw these posts and dug a bit into what happened but it all matches the announcement I've linked to.

• GeoffreyStaines
    GeoffreyStaines
    Community Member

Thanks, @littlebobbytables! That works.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

It worked. Does this affect Safari because this morning 1Password worked without disabling the code signature. Now that I disabled it, it is also disabled in Safari. Would it be worth it to upgrade my Mac? I've had it for 8 yrs. with no problems. I can't afford a new computer and if I don't have to upgrade, I'd rather leave it alone.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hschaars,

The change in the code signature will only affect Firefox and Chrome but there is no way to disable this check on a per browser setting, it's either enabled or disabled I'm afraid.

There is no easy answer to your question. From a security perspective you would be better to be running MacOS Sierra (MacOS 10.12) and any other updates this then allows such as moving to 1Password 6 for Mac. The fact that it requires a new Mac means it isn't as simple as say having put off updating because it's a pain or that you heard not very good things about one of its predecessors, Yosemite or El Capitan. If you only use Safari then the check can be left enabled, it's only if you wish to continue using OS X 10.9 with 1Password 4 for Mac and either Firefox or Chrome.

I apologise that I can't offer a simple yes or no, I do understand that Macs are not cheap and that replacing existing hardware is not always as easy as walking to your nearest Apple Store and happily handing a card over.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

Right now I think I'll leave it alone. I'm 75 y.o and cannot afford a new computer and I don't know about upgrading to the next level. If I do upgrade, should I go to Sierra?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

If you buy a new machine (or a fairly recent used or refurbished machine) then you should indeed update to Sierra. If this is going to be a very infrequent hardware upgrade, I would suggest buying new as opposed to used so that you have the longest longevity possible with software updates. My wife's 2009 13" MacBook Pro was only just last year unable to upgrade to the latest operating system. The one we replaced it with last year we'll expect to be able to stay current for another 5 years or more. I definitely understand the financial side, and only you will know what is best for your situation, so take my perspective with a grain (or lick, as appropriate) of salt. If you do decide to buy new, be sure to check a reliable buyer's guide like this one to make sure you're not buying at an inopportune time. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

Now almost every time I open Firefox (My Yahoo) I have to enter my password. And when I go to my Google mail I have to enter my sign in information and most of the time I get a message that my password is incorrect. This is getting frustrating. I am planning on updating my Mac to El Capitan and hope everything will be resolved then. I think I have to use Safari for a while.

• Moss_the_TeXie
    Moss_the_TeXie
    Community Member

I’m having the same problem:
    … but using 1Password 5.4.3 (553001), extension 4.6.5, OS X 10.11.6 (15G1510). Using WLAN sync prevents me from updating to 1PW 6.*—I think I saw that one gone after that $69 update. Also I don’t want to transfer my password data to someone else’s servers, no matter how strong its encrytion might be.

What would yo tell me to do?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

Hey @Moss_the_TeXie,

1Password 5 can be upgraded to 1Password 6 for free! You can still use your standalone license with 1Password 6 and sync over WLAN. Just download 1Password, install, and your "Code signature could not be verified" issue should be resolved.

If you have any problems along the way, please let me know.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@hschaars: Please let us know if you have any issues with 1Password 6 after upgrading to El Capitan, and we will get them resolved!

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

OK, I will. Thanks.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

I have a quick question. Will 1 Password work with Yosemite? I'm not sure what my tech guy is installing? El Capitan or Yosemite. I'm seeing him on Friday afternoon.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@hschaars: Yes! 1Password 6 for Mac can be run on the following:

• OS X 10.10: Yosemite
    • OS X 10.11: El Capitan
    • macOS 10.12: Sierra
  • hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

My tech guy teaches Mac at the rec center here in Sun City, AZ. He upgraded my computer to Mavercks in 2014 and also installed a hard drive so I trust him. He did tell me that my computer isn't compatible with Sierra, just Yosemite and El Capitan.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if I have any problems with 1 Password.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@hschaars: Sounds good, we will be here!

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

Once my computer is updated, how do I upgrade my 1Password?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

If you downloaded from our website, launch the main application and choose 1Password > Check for Updates… If you downloaded from the Mac App Store, you'll update from the App Store app's Updates tab.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

I just had Yosemite 10.10.5 installed, but 1 Password is saying there is a new update available, but not version 6. It's version 5.4.3, Should I install it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hschaars: Definitely. 1Password 6 has the same system requirements as version 5, but it is still being actively updated and therefore supports the latest browsers as well. Cheers! :)

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

I am so confused. I don't know what I did. I updated to 5.4.3 and it appears to have worked. But now I'm getting a message that there is a new version available so I clicked on it and now I get a message from 1Password Updater that my update failed and that there are multiple copies of 1Password on my Mac preventing the update and I should trash them. It does give me an option to Update Anyway. So should I trash the old versions.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

OK, I did it, I think. I have version 6.7.1 and everything seems to be working OK. I did notice in the Safari Extensions 1 Password was listed as 4.6.6 and in Firefox Add-Ons it is also 4.6.6. Is this correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am so confused. I don't know what I did. I updated to 5.4.3 and it appears to have worked. But now I'm getting a message that there is a new version available so I clicked on it and now I get a message from 1Password Updater that my update failed and that there are multiple copies of 1Password on my Mac preventing the update and I should trash them. It does give me an option to Update Anyway. So should I trash the old versions.

@hschaars: Ah, that's correct. We had to make some changes to 1Password 6 a few months ago that broke automatic updating from older versions. I'm sorry for not mentioning that. :(

OK, I did it, I think. I have version 6.7.1 and everything seems to be working OK. I did notice in the Safari Extensions 1 Password was listed as 4.6.6 and in Firefox Add-Ons it is also 4.6.6. Is this correct?

Yep! Those are the latest versions of 1Password for Mac and the browser extensions. I'm glad to hear you were able to get everything updated, and that things are working well for you now. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member

I just want to thank all of you for your help. With the Mac upgrade and the 1 Password upgrade, I'm hoping my computer will last a few more years. My computer even runs faster now.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @hschaars,

I'm very happy to hear things are working well for you and the guys have been able to help.

If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again. We'll be here ready to assist.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.