Is it possible to delete downloaded attachments

Options
ghoetker
ghoetker
Community Member

Hi. When I click on an attachment to view it, it creates a new "entry" in my vault. For example, the Software License entry for "MathType" had an attached email "Order for MathType #1232". Once I've viewed that email, there is now an entry under "O" for "Order forMathType #1232". I think that is new-ish behavior, but I'm not sure. 90% of the time, I've gotten the information I need from the attachment and would rather it not remain in my vault. Deleting it makes it truly go away -- no longer attached to the "MathType" entry. So, my vault keeps getting more and more cluttered. This sort of defeats (at least for me) the whole "nicely encrypted attachment" ideas.

I looked in preferences, but didn't find anyway to change this behavior. Is there one and if so, would it be possible to introduce one. Basically, I'd love a checkbox for "Save decrypted attachments as separate documents".

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ghoetker,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about that, and I'm sorry for any confusion. It sounds like you're using a 1Password.com account, which stores "attachments" as separate items in the Documents category. Clicking on that file's link in the original item didn't create anything new, it simply took you to the Document item for that file (it was already there, but you may not have noticed since it was in a separate category).

Had you been using 1Password before switching to a 1Password.com account? If so, the way attachments work in accounts is different from what you're used to. When you copied items from your old local vault to your new 1Password.com account vault, any attachments became Documents. In an item that previously had an attachment, you'll now see a link to the Document in the Related Items section of the item details. Just click on that to jump to the Document item so you can view the file.

In a Document item, when you click the file icon, that file will be downloaded from our servers so you can view/open it. Just like before, that file will be encrypted when 1Password is locked. If you'd like to remove the local copy of that file (but keep the Document item so you can view that file again in the future), click the arrow next to 'Quick Look' and choose "Delete Local Copy".

I hope this helps to explain how that works now - and again, I'm sorry for the confusion! If you have more questions about that, please let us know. :)

• ghoetker
    ghoetker
    Community Member
    Options

Perfectly explains what was happening. Thank you so much. I understand much better now.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @ghoetker! I'm glad that helped. We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.