File -> Export disabled (single vault)

Options
miiikael
miiikael
Community Member

Hi,

I've been using 1Password on iOS with your subscription service for a few months now. Yesterday I started reviewing my backups and I realized that my passwords are too important not to have secondary backups. Sorry but I don't trust agilebits not to lose my passwords.

So yesterday I downloaded 1Password for Mac, signed in with my 1Password account, it synced and everything was good. I opened the export dialog to see what options I have, no encrypted exports, damn. Started looking into best way to encrypt the exported files.

Fast forward to today, I opened 1Password, entered my password and now the Export option is gray, what? I have one vault, on the top left I have "All Items", not "All vaults" or anything like that. Help?

Ps. It would be ideal if I could generate an encrypted backup file from within the iOS app, and e-mail it to myself or save it to a cloud service. I would prefer to not have a 1Password installed on my Mac at all. I'd rather type in all my passwords than risk losing them if my Mac gets owned.

Thanks,
Mikael

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• miiikael
    miiikael
    Community Member
    Options

Solved.

1Password Mini must be running when 1Password starts for the export option to be active. Export works if you disable 1Password Mini while 1Password is running, but as soon as you restart 1Password export is disabled.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @miiikael,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get the Export menu item working! But it shouldn't be acting as you've described. It's possible that this is part of a known issue, though. Had you been using 1Password before you signed up for a 1Password.com account?

I'm also curious what you mean about disabling 1Password mini while the main app is running, because the main app doesn't work without mini. Launching the main app will launch 1Password mini if it isn't already running. Quitting 1Password mini will also force the main app to quit. Out of curiosity, what are the exact steps you take to get the Export option working?

• miiikael
    miiikael
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG, you're correct, mini starts when I launch the main app, it just doesn't show in the menu bar.

Steps to get Export working:
    1. Preferences -> General -> Select "Always keep 1Password mini running".
    2. Quit Main app.
    3. Open main app.
    4. Now it works.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @miiikael! That makes a bit more sense. When that setting is disabled, 1Password mini doesn't run in the background when you quit the main app. Then, when you launch the main app again, it launches 1Password mini. That's basically the same as restarting 1Password mini, which is actually a separate option you can find here: Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.

I have a feeling that restarting 1Password mini with that menu option would also solve the problem with the Export option (and that should be much easier than disabling mini in the preferences and then quitting/reopening the main app). That won't be necessary once our developers solve the bug that I think you're running into, but in the meantime, if you need to use Export but it's grayed-out in the menu, please try restarting mini to see if that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.