To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Use 1password.com account without syncing to 1PW servers

bfnlaw
bfnlaw
Community Member

I wasn't able to find my specific question answered in the forums: If I create a 1Password.com account (which is required to pay under the subscription model), can I continue to sync only locally between my iMac & iPad using the WLAN Server?

I've read all the reasons why letting you guys keep a copy of my vault is good, but just want to know:
1) if I have the choice?, and
2) what is the process if I choose to NOT sync with your server?

Thanks for any reply,
Boris

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: WLAN Server
Referrer: forum-search:1password.com account without syncing

Comments

• MeganDoItWright
    MeganDoItWright
    Community Member

Hi Boris,

You are able to not have your data leave your local network. Woo! I think think the How to use the WLAN server article could provide some helpful information on the actual process of syncing. I hope this helps!

• Hi @bfnlaw! Thanks for asking here. :) 1Password accounts store your data on 1Password.com because that's the easiest place to access it on any device, not just ones where 1Password is installed. You can open 1Password.com on a computer that isn't yours, for example, and sign in to get your passwords there if you need to. More importantly, the security on 1Password.com isn't taken lightly. We added a Secret Key to strengthen your Master Password so everything stored there is extra safe.

How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

While it would technically be possible to use the WLAN Server and a 1Password account together, it's not something I'd recommend. I love 1Password accounts because they keep your data safe and you can access it no matter what. They also give us the opportunity to build features like Travel Mode, which helps you stay safe crossing borders. If you feel safer with WLAN Sync, no worries — you're welcome to use 1Password without an account. Please do give that article above a read, though. And if you want to check out some other benefits of a 1Password account, we've got a great resource for that as well:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Hope this helps! :)

• bfnlaw
    bfnlaw
    Community Member

Jacob, thanks for the reply; the 4th sentence in your 2nd paragraph is what I'm interested in: I DO feel safer (rightly or wrongly!) with WLAN Sync, so HOW do I use 1PW (and pay the subscription fee) without an account?

Boris

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Jacob, thanks for the reply; the 4th sentence in your 2nd paragraph is what I'm interested in: I DO feel safer (rightly or wrongly!) with WLAN Sync,

@bfnlaw: That's not wrong at all. You are safe syncing with WLAN Server. Jacob just wanted to clarify that this is because of 1Password's security model and not a benefit that's exclusive to WLAN Server. :)

so HOW do I use 1PW (and pay the subscription fee) without an account?

It is impossible to have a 1Password.com membership without an account. After all, you'd have to have some way to manage your payment and authorize your devices.

You could, however, store your data only in local vaults (enable in Preferences > Advanced) and sync them using WLAN Server (as MeganDoItWright mentioned above). Again, this isn't something we recommend since you're giving up most of the convenience of the membership without gaining a security benefit, but that's something that's at least possible. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.