Korean disappears in Language settings

Options
Vanitas
Vanitas
Community Member
edited May 2017 in iOS

Hi, I'm a 1Password user living in Seoul, Korea. First of all, I am sorry for my bad English.

I just updated to iOS 1Password Version 6.7 and noticed that Korean was missing in Language settings.

Due to the issue above, all the languages ​​inside the app are in English now.

For reference, I'm currently using a iPhone 6s which is still on iOS 9.3.5 and my system language is Korean, region is also set to Korea.

If you look at the pictures inserted below, you wil realize what the problem is. I did not have any problems until I updated to Ver. 6.7.

Please fix this issue as soon as possible..

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Vanitas

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

First of all, I am sorry for my bad English.

No need to apologize! I'd say your English is better than that of some native speakers that I know. And your English is certainly better than my Korean. ;)

I did not have any problems until I updated to Ver. 6.7.

With v6.7 we tightened up our requirements for languages to be included in the app (i.e. the translation must be entirely complete, or very close to it). Presently 1Password is only approximately 60% translated into Korean. The difficulty with including it is that when we do, the App Store will list 1Password as being available in Korean, and unfortunately being only ~60% translated that doesn't provide the experience many users expect.

It could certainly be argued that some translation is better than none, but it seems that is the minority opinion. Having some words in English and some in another language, all in the same sentence, causes a disconnect for many people, making it more difficult to read than if the entire thing were untranslated.

We do have some folks on the team that are bilingual and help with translations, but I don't believe we have anyone who speaks Korean. As such for that language we rely entirely on Crowdin contributions from customers such as yourself. If you'd like to help us provide 1Password in Korean you can find our Crowdin project here:

https://crowdin.com/project/1password-for-ios-and-osx/ko#

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Vanitas
    Vanitas
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thank you for the reply. The version of 1Password installed on my iPad is 6.4.4. I also have a ipa file (ver.5.5) backed up on iTunes.

Looking at both versions, approximately 80~90% were translated into Korean. Then the translation rate dropped to almost 60% in version 6.5.4 (just before ver.7.0). Suddenly, in the version 6.5.4, tabs such as Favorites and Categories are displayed in English, and tabs such as Organize and Settings are displayed in Korean, which is not in previous versions.

Ver.5.5

Ver.6.4.4

Having some words in English and some in another language, all in the same sentence, causes a disconnect for many people, making it more difficult to read than if the entire thing were untranslated.

I agree that words that are mixed in both Korean and English can cause bad UX. However, it is not easy to understand that the translation rate has decreased compared to the previous version.

For a long time, I have relied on 1password for password management. I'm sorry to hear that Korean has been excluded since version 7.0, as many Koreans including myself have been using 1Password.

I'm looking forward to icluding Korean translation in 1Password soon.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yes, please don't misunderstand. We definitely want to include Korean in the app. We just need to get the translation in a better position in order to provide a better experience so that we can do so.

As I mentioned most of our translations (Korean included) are provided by community volunteers. If you'd like to help us translate so that the Korean language can be included sooner you can find the project to do that here:

https://crowdin.com/project/1password-for-ios-and-osx/ko#

Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

ref: OPI-4066

This discussion has been closed.