To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

License vs Membership

Adama_
Adama_
Community Member

Dear Team AgileBits...

I am a new customer and subscribed to the membership plan a few days ago. The person who referred me to 1Password told me that I should have purchased a one-time license from the iTunes App Store and not subscribed to the Membership. After looking around here for answers, I am a little confused about the differences. Please let me know so that I can make a more informed decision for myself moving forward.

Thanks so much, I am looking forward to getting the best out of 1Password!

Adama

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Adama_1pw,

That's a great question and I'm glad you took the time to come and ask it.

As a new user to 1Password, it's much easier to get into it via the account/membership. So I think you did the right thing. Accounts are still a relatively new thing and we have a lot of users out there (like the friend who referred you) that are still using the Standalone vaults approach to 1Password. There's a lot of people out there happily using standalone vaults, and they've taken the time to get stuff like syncing set up just right for them.

Let's take a look at what kinds of things 1Password accounts gives you:

• Don't think about sync. Just sign in on a device and you're set.
    • You don't need to worry about having to buy licenses for the different apps you might need. Just download the app you need and add the account.
    • You get every update of the apps we do at no additional cost. Even major updates.
    • If you're looking to use 1Password in a family or business setting, 1Password Families and 1Password Teams is absolutely the way to go. It can offer things like limiting who has access to vaults in ways that have never been possible before.
    • You can store Documents in 1Password account vaults which makes it easy for you to keep more data secure
    • Certain features like Travel Mode are only possible with the 1Password account as it requires a centralized system to make it work

I hope that answers your question. I think you'll like the account.

Rick

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Adama_1pw I use to have the stand alone for years and converted to the subscription for my family. The subscription IMO is far better. No more 3rd party apps (I posted many times why I don't use Dropbox anymore, this link is why, no more sync issues, far easier to add new devices, and it works better.

• Adama_
    Adama_
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Hi @rickfillion ,

Thank you so much for your fantastic and detailed reply! I appreciate you!

• Adama_
    Adama_
    Community Member

Hi @prime , thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! I will take a look at that link very carefully because I use Dropbox myself. I feel much better already about my choice to go with the account/subscription service. Have a wonderful day and thanks again :)

• Thanks for the update @Adama_1pw. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

And thanks for taking the time to share your perspective here prime.

Ben

• Adama_
    Adama_
    Community Member

Thanks so much @Ben! You guys are awesome! Have a beautiful day :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You too! We're here if you need us. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.