What is the little star in the corner of my posts that says "Level 1" on highlight?

Jables
Jables
Community Member

What's this star mean? It says I'm "Level 1."

Can I level up!?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:level 1 forum star

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

Maybe we have to fight the dungeon bosses (i.e. AgileBits staff) to level up? :lol:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

I have never noticed anything other than "Level 1". Staff and Community Moderators have their own designations. It must be a forum software feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What's this star mean? It says I'm "Level 1." Can I level up!?

@Jables: No, but as far as I'm concerned you already have (present company as well!) Really appreciating the feedback you've been giving on the new Windows app in particular. :chuffed:

I have never noticed anything other than "Level 1". Staff and Community Moderators have their own designations. It must be a forum software feature.

@wkleem: You're right on. The little star, which I always forget about and completely overlook most of the time is a "forum rank". We barely use these at all, except to give moderators and AgileBits staff some additional administrative abilities. Nothing particularly exciting, mostly housekeeping. Somebody's gotta do it! :lol:

Maybe we have to fight the dungeon bosses (i.e. AgileBits staff) to level up? :lol:

@pervel: You kid, but now I want to go play Zelda! In my fantasy world (pun intended) you'd level up by helping people. But then we'd have to go back and try to count previous comments! ;)

Anyway, I'd love it if we could do something with this, but I'm not sure it would be appropriate for a support forum. It's a fun idea though. Cheers! :)

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Leveling up like that may not be appropriate for a support forum, but reactions to posts would be. The Plex forum is really good example.

They have the following ways to interact with someone else's post: Flag, Quote, and mark as "Insightful," "Like," or "LOL"

And then, further, what would be extremely useful for a support forum like this one, is the ability to mark a reply as a resolution or answer to the posited question in the OP.

This answer then get's pinned directly beneath the OP so that people don't have to scroll through post after post or even multiple pages to find the answer they are looking for.

I'd really like the ability to show some form of passive appreciation for replies. It's a waste of space to have a bunch of people saying "Thanks!" and nothing more to contribute to the conversation.

"Liking" or marking a post as "helpful" would be really cool.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jables: Really good points. I think it can cut both ways. If we had more support-specific features here, it could certainly help with some clear cut problem/solution cases, but at the same time it would be harder to have some of the other types of discussions we see (feature requests, feedback, and general security). We're limited with what we can do here due to the forum software, but I'm sure additional possibilities will open up in the future. But on the other hand, I think it's kind of nice to keep things simple. And things like "Thanks!" that don't technically add to a discussion still kind of contribute to the feeling of community I think. Or maybe I'm just old and I like how un-Facebook-like it is. Food for thought. :)

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well that was gratuitous and unexpected. :lol:

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

You're kidding? I'm only a level 1? haha, Please don't do anything like the useless thumbs up thumbs down system on Netflix.

Personally I don't think there needs to be any rating system at all as people here have always been more than gracious with expressing their thanks using their own real words.

(My original post got cut off after "useless" because apparently this forum doesn't support emojis (tried putting in the thumbs emojis).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're kidding? I'm only a level 1? haha,

@skippingrock: If it makes you feel better, I apparently still do not have a level at all, in spite of my efforts! :lol:

Please don't do anything like the useless thumbs up thumbs down system on Netflix.

I think thumbs up and thumbs down is great...for movies. But I guess that's pretty subjective. Worked for George Ebert for decades though! But I agree that it could be problematic for forum posts. I'd hate to see people afraid to ask questions because they don't want to get downvoted, or trolling for upvotes without offering anything helpful to others. I've been on forums like that.

Personally I don't think there needs to be any rating system at all as people here have always been more than gracious with expressing their thanks using their own real words.

That's kind of what I was trying to express above, but I think you said it much better. "Thanks" feels more personal to me when compared to a "Like" button. But again that may be a generational thing. :glasses:

(My original post got cut off after "useless" because apparently this forum doesn't support emojis (tried putting in the thumbs emojis).

D'oh! Yeah, I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often, but the forum software absolutely does not know how to handle Unicode emojis. I rather like these "rice ball" smilies because they have character, but they're not at all intuitive. :unamused:

This discussion has been closed.