Feature Request: Ability to create one way clones of logins and other items

pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member

Hi,

I have a vault I share with my relatives using a 1Password family account. In this are a subset of my personal vault's logins and items. I've found that logins in this shared vault can quickly get out of sync with the items I've copied them from in my personal vault, as I often forget to propagate changes to the items in the shared vault.

What I would like is an option (called clone for example), maybe made available in the copy and move menu, to make one-way clones of logins or items in a different vault. This new item wouldn't be able to be edited, but if changes were made to the original item, then these would be reflected in the clone. This would save me from forgetting to copy edits to logins in my shared vault, after I've made changes to the items in my personal vault.

At the moment I have to go through items one-by-one, and use the all vaults view, along with search, to compare items for changes.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this sounds like it could work, or if there is anyway to accomplish this easily already in 1Password for Mac?

Many thanks, Paul.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pbryanw,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! When you copy an item from one vault to another, you're creating a brand new item that has the same information as the original, but it's a completely separate item so there's no connection between them. It's a lot like right-clicking an item and choosing Duplicate to create a copy. Changes to one won't sync to the other.

Creating a system where two different items sync with each other is no simple task, and I don't think our developers have any plans for something like that. Is there a reason why you copy those items to the Shared vault instead of moving them there? Having multiple items with the same information and manually updating them to match each other can definitely cause some confusion and inconvenience. If you're worried about other family members causing a problem by accidentally making changes to a shared item, please know that you can restore that item from a backup if that happens: View and restore previous versions of items in 1Password accounts

Alternately, if you're the family organizer, you can change vault permissions for those family members so they can't make any changes to items in the shared vault: Change vault permissions

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have questions about that. Cheers! :)

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for your quick reply & help @Drew_AG

I suppose my use case is that I maintain a list of my most commonly used logins in a shared vault, so that I can access them on my Mum's computer when I need to. And, if anything happens to me, my Mum can use these to access my Gmail/Outlook/Facebook etc. accounts if needed.

I still want these items in my personal vault for use on my own PC, but also want a copy in the shared vault for the use cases above. So, in time these items get updated on my personal account (for example, when there's a security alert from watchtower), and the ones on my shared account become outdated, or out of sync.

I don't know if you can suggest a better method of going about this, as I was a long time user of the standalone 1Password apps, and am just learning about 1Password accounts? I can see that creating a clone type system would be a lot of work for a niche-use case scenario like mine, but am wondering what is the best way to keep these shared logins up-to-date?

Thanks again, Paul.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pbryanw,

Thank you for sharing your use case! Basically, it sounds like you're looking for the best way to accomplish the following:

• Access certain items from your Mum's computer
    • Allow her to be able to access certain items in case something happens to you
    • Access those items on your own computer

You can do all that by keeping a single copy of each of those items in the Shared vault. There's no need to keep extra copies in your Personal vault, because you have access to both of those vaults in your own account. If you're not already doing so, you can use the 'All Vaults' view to see all items from both vaults at once.

If you keep just one copy of each item, you won't have extra copies that need to be updated manually, so that will make things much easier for you. Does that help?

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@Drew_AG - Hi, that helps a lot :+1: I hadn't thought of it like that. It probably goes back to when I had just the one 1Password vault with Dropbox sync. I'm still in that - my only vault must be the personal one - mindset, and am not thinking in terms of using the all vaults view.

I also have a similar shared vault, but filled with my Mum's logins, and I'm sure I can do the same for that account too.

Many thanks for your reply. It's helped me a lot :chuffed:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I'm glad that was helpful for you. 1Password.com accounts work a bit differently than what you're used to, but hopefully it'll make things easier for you. If you have more questions or need help with 1Password, please be sure to let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.