When creating a Team account, will company email addresses be tied to the account?

Options

We'd like to create a Team Account for our company. I've created a test account under my company email address, and have a few questions.

A few of our team members already have personal 1Password accounts and I'd like them to be part of our Team account, whilst also be able to keep their own personal private vaults and passwords, with only one login. It looks like this is possible and I would just share the shared Vaults with them. Would I need to know their personal emails that they used for 1Password or can they merge different emails?

I would like to use 1Password for my own personal passwords/logins etc that are not associated with our company or team. I realize this is possible, but I'm concerned that the account I set up is tied to my company email.

In addition, we’d like to ensure that if anyone leaves the company (including myself), their personal passwords can be accessed, even if the email address they used to sign up with 1Password is no longer valid. For example, I created a test Test account today with my company email. If I leave the company in 6 months from now, I would still like to be able to access any personal passwords that I store in a personal vault for personal use. Is this possible? Would I need to change the email for my account to be a personal email? Could I still be the owner and admin for the company 1Password Team account or should the owner account use a company email?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6.90
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:multiple 1password accounts

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @sallymitchell - Thank you for reaching out to us and I'll do my best to address your questions. It's great to hear you want to give 1Password Teams a test drive so let's dive right in -

A few of our team members already have personal 1Password accounts and I'd like them to be part of our Team account, whilst also be able to keep their own personal private vaults and passwords, with only one login. It looks like this is possible and I would just share the shared Vaults with them. Would I need to know their personal emails that they used for 1Password or can they merge different emails?

I would actually recommend that employees keep their personal accounts. They can add their 1Password Teams account to their existing 1Password app and use them both side by side. For example, I have a 1Password Families & Teams account. This makes it super easy and convenient to manage both from a single location. This also separates "work" and "personal" related data. Then you can invite your employees over to the account using their company email addresses which gives you a little more control since it's being used for work.

I would like to use 1Password for my own personal passwords/logins etc that are not associated with our company or team. I realize this is possible, but I'm concerned that the account I set up is tied to my company email.

Each team member by default, receives a Private & Shared vault. We recommend only adding company related data to the Private vault (ex: company email account). Anything you or the team members wish to share with each other can be added to the Shared vault. Private vaults can only be accessed by that specific individual, nobody else has access to this vault. It's not recommended for personal use since if they leave the company, they will lose access to anything within their Private vault, which brings us to the next question.

In addition, we’d like to ensure that if anyone leaves the company (including myself), their personal passwords can be accessed, even if the email address they used to sign up with 1Password is no longer valid. For example, I created a test Test account today with my company email. If I leave the company in 6 months from now, I would still like to be able to access any personal passwords that I store in a personal vault for personal use. Is this possible? Would I need to change the email for my account to be a personal email?

I highly recommend if an employee wants to use 1Password for personal use to sign up for an Individual account. As I mentioned before, both accounts can be added to the same app which makes it easy to manage both from the same location. You have the ability to move items between vaults/accounts. This is exactly what we all do here at AgileBits. :wink: If you were to leave the company in 6 months, you can just sign out of your Individual account and take it with you including all your personal data. Then you don't have to worry about changing an email address. Your Teams account will use your company email address while your Individual account will use your personal email address.

Could I still be the owner and admin for the company 1Password Team account or should the owner account use a company email?

I would recommend everyone using 1Password Teams use the company email address and for the Individual (personal) account they can use their personal email address. It's great way to keep everything separate.

Great questions! I hope this helped a bit. Keep us posted if you have any additional questions about using 1Password Teams. I'll be happy to ask a member of our Sales team reach out to you :smile: Enjoy the rest of the day!

• sallymitchell
    sallymitchell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much. Makes sense. I've just created an individual account with my personal email and I'm trying to invite my personal account to the company Team account. I'm not clear if I should invite my personal email address to the company account or invite my company email to the company account? From your response, it sounds like the latter, but my company email is the owner of the company account already so I don't believe that would work. What do you recommend?

Yes, I'd love to talk with someone from your Sales team if possible. Thanks

• Frank
    Options

Hi @sallymitchell - It's nice to hear back from you. I appreciate the additional details you provided and I'll be happy to clarify.

I've just created an individual account with my personal email and I'm trying to invite my personal account to the company Team account.

Congrats on the Individual account. Basically, you want to add both accounts to your existing 1Password app. You can add as many accounts to 1Password as you want but this has to be done within the apps. You have the ability to switch between your Individual and Teams account within the 1Password apps or you can view all the data at once using the "All Vaults" view.

I'm not clear if I should invite my personal email address to the company account or invite my company email to the company account?

For the 1Password Teams account, you want to use your company email address. If you already created the Teams account and you're currently the Owner, then you should already be good to go.

I'll be happy to have a member of our Sales team reach out to you and discuss this a bit more :smile: We'll reach out to you via email shortly then we can continue the conversation over there.

• sallymitchell
    sallymitchell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - my Master Password on my 1Password app is the company one. Is there a way that I can change that to be my personal account? Then I can add the company account to my personal account. I think that would be better because if I leave the company I wouldn't want to not be able to login to the 1Password app.

• sallymitchell
    sallymitchell
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I just tried to add my personal account to the company account and received this error when entering my personal account details.

ref: p/1769

• Frank
    Options

Hi sallymitchell - Thank you for sending over the screenshot and additional details. I believe Eva reached out to you via email so let's continue the conversation over there and we'll be able to assist you more effectively :smile:

• sallymitchell
    sallymitchell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I'm talking with Eva on email now.

• Frank
    Options

Fantastic news!!! You're in excellent hands with Eva :smile:

• sallymitchell
    sallymitchell
    Community Member
    Options

A few more questions. Eva hasn't been able to respond.

1) Does every person who joins a Team account have to create their own Secret Key and Master Password for that Team account?
    2) If they already have a personal iPassword account, will they then have 2 Secret Keys and 2 Master Passwords, one for each account?
    3) In case the Owner of a Team account leaves the company, I assume we should have 2 Owners so that the other Owner could manage the account going forward. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

• Frank
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @sallymitchell - I'll be happy to answer your questions :smile:

1) Does every person who joins a Team account have to create their own Secret Key and Master Password for that Team account?

Yes, every team member that you invite over to join the account will go through a similar setup process. We will provide each team member with their own Secret Key and they will have the opportunity to create their own Master Password. Each team member will also have their own Emergency Kit which we recommend printing out and keeping somewhere safe.

2) If they already have a personal iPassword account, will they then have 2 Secret Keys and 2 Master Passwords, one for each account?

Yes, this is correct, but when unlocking their 1Password app on their devices, only one Master Password will have to entered. The first account added to the apps will be the default Master Password going forward. For example, I have a Families and Teams account. I added my Families account first so when I unlock 1Password on my Mac, I have to enter my Families Master Password in order to unlock it. If I was to remove my 1Password Families account from my Mac, the Teams account will then be the default Master Password.

3) In case the Owner of a Team account leaves the company, I assume we should have 2 Owners so that the other Owner could manage the account going forward. Correct?

You made me so happy reading this... :love: Yes, you're absolutely correct. It's a great idea to have a plan put in place for this type of situation as it does happen. You can also give additional team members recovery permissions by promoting them to an Admin. This way if anyone forgets their Secret Key or Master Password, the Admin can come to the rescue and place their account into recovery mode.

I hope this information was helpful and please feel free to reach out to us anytime :+1:

• sallymitchell
    sallymitchell
    Community Member
    Options

Fantastic, thanks so much. This all makes sense. I think I've got it now! I'm inviting another team member who already has a personal account and will make him an owner. I'll be in touch if we encounter any other issues. Thank you again!

• Frank
    Options

Anytime @sallymitchell, we're always here for you if you need us :smile: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.