Delay when unlocking 1Password

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password Mini Slow as Molasses to Open now.

Comments

• col_potatoe
    col_potatoe
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on

1Password
    Version 6.7 (670008)
    Mac App Store

and am having this problem. The blue on the lock just fades in and out until finally, it opens. Quite annoying. Any solutions? I use the Family Plan FYI.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @col_potatoe,

I'm sorry you're also seeing a long delay when unlocking 1Password! I hope you don't mind, but I've split your post into a separate thread so we can focus on this specific issue.

First, please try restarting 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. After it restarts, try unlocking it. Is there still a long delay? If so, please also reboot your Mac, then unlock 1Password after it restarts. Is there any difference?

If the same problem still happens, can you please let us know some additional details:

• What version of OS X / macOS are you running on your Mac?
    • Does the delay happen when you unlock it from 1Password mini / browser extension, or from the main 1Password app? (Or both?)
    • Once 1Password is unlocked, does it work correctly?
    • When did this problem start happening? Did the recent update for version 6.7 make any difference?
    • Do you have multiple 1Password.com accounts in the 1Password app, or just the one Families account you mentioned?
    • How many vaults are listed in 1Password on your Mac? (You should be able to see that if you click the vault switcher in the top left corner of the main app window.)
    • Does the unlock delay happen every time, or only sometimes?
    • When this happens, about how long is the delay? Several seconds? A couple minutes?

Thanks in advance! :)

• col_potatoe
    col_potatoe
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG , I already did that before posting and it still delays. Thanks.

• macOS 10.12.4
    • both
    • yes, but the delay is quite annoying. I have had times where it was faster for me to pull it up on my phone and manually enter the password if I needed to be on Desktop
    • It's been going on since January 2017.
    • I had an error pop-up before that I had multiple, but I deleted it and still having the same problem.
    • It is random. Sometimes when I know I need to use itI cross my fingers. Sometimes it works, sometimes I'm waiting a while.
    • It can be seconds or a minute or more. To speed it up I have opened the 1Password application which causes the waiting for 1Password Mini to start up. Sometimes that works to make it open faster, sometimes everything crashes.
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @col_potatoe! Can you please try these steps to see if they make any difference:

• Open the main 1Password app, then hold down the control key and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar.
    • Go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag the 1Password.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they might also delete your data instead of just the app).
    • Empty the Trash.
    • Reboot your Mac.
    • After it restarts, launch the Mac App Store and reinstall 1Password from the Purchased tab.
    • Once it is reinstalled, go to the Applications folder and double-click the 1Password.app file.

Does that help at all, or does the delay happen the same as before?

• col_potatoe
    col_potatoe
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG , I thought that did it because yesterday I had no problems. However, this morning as I begin to work it started lagging again and took a while to open after entering my password. Got any more ideas? This seriously hinders workflow and I would love to solve this sooner than later.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @col_potatoe,

Sorry to hear the problem came back! To help us figure out what's going on, I'd like to ask you to send a diagnostics report from your Mac, with some extra logging options turned on. To do that, please follow these steps:

1. Open the main 1Password app, then hold down the control key and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini in the menu bar.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac (Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app) and enter (copy/paste) each of these commands:

defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper OPDatabaseLogTransactionTimes -bool true
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword-osx LogXPC -bool true
    defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper LogXPC -bool true

1. After entering each of those three commands, launch 1Password again. The next time it takes a long time to unlock, create a diagnostics report from your Mac: Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)
    2. Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com (in the email message, please include a link to this forum thread as well as your forum username so we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox).
    3. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics report and make sure we get back to you as soon as possible.
    4. After sending the diagnostics report, open the Terminal app again and enter (copy/paste) these commands:

defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper OPDatabaseLogTransactionTimes -bool false
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword-osx LogXPC -bool false
    defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper LogXPC -bool false

When we receive the report, we'll let you know what we find. Thanks in advance! :)

• col_potatoe
    col_potatoe
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG , I'm not excited about sending diagnostic reports especially for an app that contains all my passwords. So is there another way? It now sometimes opens the first time or randomly just hangs for a while then opens.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @col_potatoe,

I definitely understand your concerns about that. I'm afraid there's really no other way for our developers to figure out what going wrong in a situation like this. In fact, for this particular type of problem, they need more information than what is collected in a regular diagnostics report, which is why I gave you steps to enable some extra logging options.

However, please know that the diagnostics report doesn’t contain any of your actual data - it only contains information about your 1Password installation and configuration to help us diagnose the issue. We go out of our way to remove as much sensitive/private data from the report as we can. For example, we get a system profile which includes the processor type and amount of ram, but that request also returns the serial number of the computer - we remove that serial number before it gets entered into the report, so we never see it.

The only identifiable or even remotely sensitive information in the report includes the username you use on your Mac. If that contains your actual name (which we would also know from your email), we would see that in the report. It also includes the last 4000 lines of the system.log. That could potentially contain some other slightly sensitive data - however, that's extremely unlikely because most developers realize the system log should not contain sensitive information.

The rest of the report is really just overview information, such as the path to your sync file in Dropbox (if you sync with Dropbox), your home folder path (which would show your Mac username), details about Safari/Chrome/Firefox (version, a few non-personal settings, whether they pass code signature verification, installed extensions), installed applications that have been known to interfere with 1Password (Firewalls, Security software, anti-virus, etc), 1Password settings (again, no sensitive info, just settings that affect application behavior), which applications are running (only sensitive if you're working on a secret app and don't want anyone to know its name), and log files from 1Password (again, no private data).

The report does not contain your master password or your data. We'll never ask you for those things.

You can also take a look at the diagnostics report yourself to see what it contains. It will be a zip file containing files that you can view in a text editor or web browser. If there is anything in the report that you don't feel comfortable sending to us, you can certainly choose to not send the report. We take your security seriously so I want to make sure you know what you're sending to us, and that we're not using it in any sort of malicious way. It's only to help you get things working or help our developers fix problems in the app. For a problem like this, we're basically blind without the diagnostics report.

We completely understand if you choose not to send us a diagnostics report. The slow unlock issue is something our developers are investigating and trying to solve, and although your diagnostics report would likely help, they'll keep working on the problem even without your report.

Please let us know if you have any questions about that! :)

• col_potatoe
    col_potatoe
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I appreciate your openness to the process of how the software logs information for debugging. With that, I decided to do what you've asked, so thank you for explaining. I have sent the report and here is the Support ID #IJF-39174-192

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @col_potatoe! Our developers will take a look at that and someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: IJF-39174-192

• col_potatoe
    col_potatoe
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good. Once a solution is found I'll make sure to post back on here as to be helpful to others.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.