To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can I access 1password from a computer at a friend's house? . I just opened a subscription..

Options
spedprof
spedprof
Community Member

Sorry, but as non techy newbie, I have a few questions. If I want access some account on a friends computer, i.e. to show something on his screen, now that I have converted to long complex passwords, I don't recall them. Can I open 1Password from such a computer. I have a subscription and I also have a Dropbox account and an ICloud account, but I do hope it is simple :) Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can I access 1password from a computer at a friend's house? Is it a simple process to do so. I do have a Dropbox account but that seems complicated. I just pened a subscription, if that helps. Thanks

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@spedprof: Not a problem! Glad you reached out. That's what we're here for. :)

Accessing the data in your 1Password.com account is easy — you can do this in pretty much any modern web browser simply by signing in to 1Password.com using your Secret Key and Master Password.

However, there are a few caveats. First and foremost, it is generally not a good idea to access sensitive data from an unknown/untrusted computer. You can do it, but it's important to keep in mind that a computer you don't control could be used to capture your data and/or account information. I'm not suggesting that your friend would do this on purpose. They may be very trustworthy. But they may have accidentally installed malware on their computer, unbeknownst to both you and them.

I'd only access my most important data on an untrusted device in an emergency. And keep in mind that if you have a mobile device, you can probably have it with you and use it to access your data away from home. Your 1Password.com membership allows you to do this, after all!

But if your goal is to show them how 1Password works...well, you could always sign up for a separate trial account for that purpose — or help them do so.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• spedprof
    spedprof
    Community Member
    Options

Just to confirm... My Secret Key is that complex set of numbers/letters that I am not supposed to carry with me and surely cannot memorize (George Miller's 7 plus/minus 2). So I suppose you really recommend that I do not access my accounts at a remote site... I will live with that if you confirm my above statement. Thanks.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You have both a Secret Key and a Master Password. You should remember your master password and not have it stored anywhere (except perhaps in a safe deposit box). But you can carry your Secret Key with you. If you know you are visiting a friend the easiest way is to take your Emergency Kit with you, but you could just have the key written down or stored on a flash drive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danco: That's a great point. The Master Password can be "saved" only in your brain, so it doesn't need to be carried. I still would be cautious about entering it on someone else's computer, but it can be changed if necessary. :)

Just to confirm... My Secret Key is that complex set of numbers/letters that I am not supposed to carry with me and surely cannot memorize (George Miller's 7 plus/minus 2). So I suppose you really recommend that I do not access my accounts at a remote site... I will live with that if you confirm my above statement. Thanks.

@spedprof: Correct. The Secret Key starts with something like A3-ABCDE, and the rest is a randomly generated 128-bit string. I did forget to mention something I'd meant to. It's your data, so it's totally your call where you access it. I just want you to be aware of both the risks. And regarding mitigating factors, if you check the "This is a public or shared computer" box when logging in, the Secret Key will not be saved in the browser's local storage. And if you do need to access your data from someone else's computer, you can also regenerate a new Secret Key just in case from your 1Password.com Profile.

Again, sorry for not fleshing all of that out earlier. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. :)

This discussion has been closed.