Feature Request: Bookmarks in a vault

Options
robkerry
robkerry
Community Member
edited June 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Sometimes I want to save a list of useful/important URLs without using my browser's Bookmarks and keep them secure.

Currently I have to manually copy/paste them into a Notes item in 1Password, which is time consuming and not very practical

Could you add Bookmarks as an item to store in 1Password Vaults, easily accessible from the browser extension?

This will give us easy access to our Bookmarks across all devices and browsers, keeping them secure as well. If we were able to group Bookmarks into lists as well, we could easily share them with our 1Password Teams

e.g. Share a list of our Online Banking URLs with our team in our Finance vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robkerry: This is actually what I use Logins for in 1Password. It's pretty much a given that I won't have Logins saved in 1Password for websites I don't ever use, and for those which I use frequently, Favorites are a great way to make them more accessible — both by having them in the Favorites list, but also having them "bubble to the top" when logging into sites where I have multiple logins. I know it's not quite what you're asking for, but doing it this way adds a lot of cross-device convenience without making you maintain a list — the logins themselves are it. And with 1Password Teams, you can do this in a shared vault, so you don't have to maintain shared login credentials separately from a shared list of "bookmarks". Cheers! :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

@robkerry To add on to what Brenty said, I think you raise a couple different use cases that are worth separating out.

Sometimes I want to save a list of useful/important URLs without using my browser's Bookmarks and keep them secure.

This is sort of the generic use case, but I think it's worth differentiating between fillable URLs and just generically useful URLs. One example of the latter from my own use is that my wife and I can never remember which inkjet cartridges we are supposed to buy for our printer. It's some nonsensical string of characters that doesn't actually reference our printer. So, I created a single secure note and added a custom section to it. The section has a field, whose type is set to URL, that tells the color or bundle name and gives the URL to the item on Amazon. For good measure, I then set a custom icon on the item to make it easier to identify.

e.g. Share a list of our Online Banking URLs with our team in our Finance vault.

For fillable items, you should definitely use Logins. There are a couple ways you can approach grouping these. First, I think this would be a fantastic use of Tags. Tag all the online banking entries with the same tag and then you have one-stop shopping for your Logins without maintaining a separate list.

The other alternative would be to have an item like a Secure Note that then links to all the online banking Logins. You can set up item links by editing the item and clicking Link Existing. This approach can be a bit fragile, though, because if you move an item to another vault, the links will be broken.

I hope this helps!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.