I really do own 1password - Help!

Options
jiverson
jiverson
Community Member

The problem... 1password does not recognize that I have a legitimate, purchased copy.
The indicator... in all environments, the program shows as read-only and wants me to repurchase
The cause?... I have two AppStore accounts (long story). Recently, I think 1password attempted to update from the account that did not purchase. Now, both accounts give me the option to open, followed by read-only status and opportunities to purchase.
The question... How do I fix this?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: 4.6.690
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud (but thought it was Dropbox)

Comments

• Hello @jiverson, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble here. It can be a bit tricky jumping between Apple IDs, especially when update are released as you’ll need to be signed into the Apple ID that purchased the app to complete the update. Do you know for certain which of your two Apple IDs the 1Password for Mac purchase is associated with? If so, the first thing I’d likely do is try to sign out of the Mac App Store from within the Mac App Store application's menu bar: Store > Sign Out. Once you’ve done that, try launching 1Password again, and if prompted enter your Apple ID credentials for the Apple ID used to purchase 1Password.

• jiverson
    jiverson
    Community Member
    Options

No change. What's next on the suggestion/troubleshooting ladder?

• Hi @jiverson,

The next suggestion I would have is similar to Sean's but a little more extreme.

1. Sign out of the Mac App Store
    2. Sign in with the Apple ID that bought 1Password
    3. Quit 1Password and 1Password mini by using the 1Password > Quit menu item, and holding down the control key so that it becomes "Quit 1Password & 1Password mini"
    4. Drag 1Password to the trash. Make sure you aren't using any app cleaners or anything like that as they might want to delete some of your data. Deleting the app itself shouldn't be deleting any of your data.
    5. Re-download 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store
    6. Launch 1Password

This should give you 1Password with a receipt from the original account that indicates that it's paid.

Rick

• jiverson
    jiverson
    Community Member
    Options

Rick, I haven't tried your suggestion, but I have a question. Will the status of 1Password change after I quit and go to the App Store? Now, in both accounts, my option is to Open. Neither Install nor Download is available. Thanks, Julie

• @jiverson, yeah, that should change. It says "Open" instead of "Download" because it's already on your Mac. That's why we want to drag it to the trash. You'll probably want to empty the trash too to make sure that it doesn't try to open it from the trash.

Rick

• jiverson
    jiverson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - trying now.

• Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• jiverson
    jiverson
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I'm back in business! Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rick, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.