cannot update

Check for Update failed with error: Could not understand response from server.

Please try again later.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1 password quit

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@macdochhi: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! A lot has changed since 1Password 3 development ceased years ago, and it can't directly update to newer versions. Those would also be a paid upgrade, but the functionality of 1Password 3 is increasingly limited with regard to modern operating systems and browsers. You can find more details here:

1Password 3 legacy support information

However, a 1Password.com subscription gives you access to all the latest versions, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• macdochhi
    macdochhi
    Community Member

how do I upgrade

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macdochhi,

Do you happen to know if you have any items in the 1Password 3 browser extension that don't appear in the main 1Password 3 app? If all your latest data appears in the main 1Password 3 app, then you can follow these steps to download and install 1Password 6 for Mac:

1. Download 1Password 6 for Mac from our download site: https://1password.com/downloads/
    2. Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation.
    3. When you're done, go to the Applications folder on your Mac and open the new 1Password 6.app file.
    4. From the ‘Welcome’ screen, click on 'More Options...' and choose 'Search my Mac'.
    5. That should find your 1Password 3 data - select that under "Vaults found on your Mac" and click the Use Selected Vault button.

Now you should have all your data in the 1Password 6 app, and the app will be in a 30 day trial period. The best way to upgrade and fully activate the app is to sign up for a 1Password.com account, add that account to the 1Password 6 app, and move your existing data to your new account. It's all fairly easy, and we take you through the steps here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you run into any trouble with that or if you have questions. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.