How can I get 1Password 5x for iOS 8.x?

Options
KKBallard
KKBallard
Community Member

I deleted 1Password 3 on my husband's phone thinking that the app store would let me load the most applicable version of 1Password.

We will NOT be updating his software at this time (jailbroken) and need 1Password 5.x for his phone. We should not be 'ordered' to update our iOS version by an app - an older version should be made available (like most other apps) when we want to install it.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 5.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Any

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @KKBallard,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

It is not possible to download older versions of iOS apps, and even if it were, we couldn't really recommend doing so. It is important to use the latest versions of software, especially security software like 1Password.

Additionally we do not support 1Password on jailbroken devices.

I understand jailbreaking brings with it some really neat capabilities otherwise not possible on Apple devices, but it also removes a number of the system's protections and opens you up to vulnerabilities you wouldn't have otherwise been open to. In addition to jailbreaking you're running an older version of iOS... I'm sorry to say you're asking for even more trouble.

If you do decide to un-jailbreak the device and update to the latest iOS we'd be happy to help get you up and running on the latest version of 1Password.

Ben

• KKBallard
    KKBallard
    Community Member
    Options

So Agilebits is dictating how I set up my device? That's not right.

The proper steps have been taken to make the device even more secure than an unjailbroken phone - both the mobile and root passwords were changed.

Being able to select an older version of the software is a consumer choice where we accept any consequences of our actions, e.g., not updating software for various reasons. I find your answer unsatisfactory from a consumer standpoint, especially when I see other apps providing the option to get an older version of their software when a newer version is not supported. Alternatively, Agilebits should make 1Password 6 for iOS backwards compatible.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I doubt that this is within Agilebits's control as, due to 1Password being in the Apple App Store, Apple at its discretion can and will withdraw Apps as it sees fit. Lots of Apps have already been pulled (or hidden) with more to come as Apple transitions to 64bit Apps with iOS 11 approaching.

If you have previously purchased it then 1Password should be available for download otherwise, the App is gone.
    https://theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/03/ios-11-apple-latest-update-older-apps-stop-working

https://engadget.com/2017/06/04/apple-stops-showing-32-bit-ios-apps-in-searches/

"Now, however, it's pulling the plug. TouchArcade and others have noticed that 32-bit iOS software no longer turns up in App Store search results. You can still use direct links, but that's about as far as you can go. And you can probably guess why Apple is making this move right now."

The trick here is to use a direct link to whichever App you are interested in and hope if works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

So Agilebits is dictating how I set up my device? That's not right.

@KKBallard: No. You're dictating how you setup your device. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. You can setup your device however you like, but using an old OS limits you in a lot of ways, and jailbreaking does the same. In order for us to offer 1Password on iOS, we work with the App Store. And the App Store just doesn't work the way you want it to in this case. If you already have the version of 1Password (or any app) downloaded on your computer, you can probably sync it to your iPhone. But the App Store doesn't support downloading arbitrary versions of app binaries.

The proper steps have been taken to make the device even more secure than an unjailbroken phone - both the mobile and root passwords were changed.

While the choice is yours to make, be aware that this comes with some tradeoffs with regard to what you can install. And — more importantly — security goes much deeper than changing passwords, and you won't have the benefit of hundreds of architectural improvements and fixes to core iOS frameworks and features (Safari, for example) released in the last half decade.

Being able to select an older version of the software is a consumer choice where we accept any consequences of our actions, e.g., not updating software for various reasons. I find your answer unsatisfactory from a consumer standpoint, especially when I see other apps providing the option to get an older version of their software when a newer version is not supported. Alternatively, Agilebits should make 1Password 6 for iOS backwards compatible.

We can't. Many of the technologies we're using in 1Password 6 are simply not available on old iOS versions. And I don't think it's reasonable to expect us (or any developer) to continually maintain multiple separate versions for obsolete OSes. You may not want to stay up to date to take advantage of all of the latest features and security improvements of the past 5 years, but we have a responsibility to the vast majority of our customers (and, frankly, to iOS users, of whom 79% are on iOS 10) not to hold 1Password back. Again, that choice is yours to make, but it does come with pros and cons on both sides. You just can't have it both ways, and it isn't possible or appropriate for us to try to make a run around Apple to try to help you accomplish that, especially when this would benefit so few users.

wkleem had a great example above. There are a lot of apps I still use today which are going to go away in the near future. Even if I appreciate that Apple is pushing the technology forward, it's inconvenient for me as well. But with those apps I truly don't have a choice once they're no longer available. With 1Password you at least have the option of a newer version that's compatible with modern iOS releases should you upgrade in the future (which you'll end up with if you get a new iPhone). I can't get a new version of my 32-bit-only apps, and it's important that we keep 1Password up to date so it does not suffer a similar fate in the future.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, I am not dictating anything just pointing out that Apple has a lot of discretionary powers beyond our control. You tagged the wrong person.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

There is an example of an app developer for Photosmith who completely threw in the towel when Apple completely changed the way multitasking was handled in iOS 9.

photosmithapp.com/index.php/blog/

"Development Officially Ends

October 15, 2015
    As of today, we are officially announcing the discontinuation of development on Photosmith, the first iPad application to enable a mobile RAW workflow for photographers using Adobe Lightroom.

The app will remain in the iPad App Store so that existing customers can download it to their new devices and it will remain available to purchase at a modest price, as it is still compatible with the current versions of iOS and Lightroom, is still capable of receiving files wirelessly via EyeFi, FTP and several proprietary WiFi grips, and still supports RAW files from 30 camera manufacturers.

However, we are ending development and customer support, effectively marking the end of Photosmith’s application lifecycle.

In the spirit of openness and in appreciation of our customers and supporters, Photosmith’s developers Chris Horne and Chris Morse have posted an overview of the app’s development history, as well as a variety of statistics on the financials and use of the app.

We’d like to thank our customers, our fellow photographers, our attentive beta testers, collaborators and partners, and of course our patient and understanding families, for all their invaluable support and enthusiasm.

• The Photosmith Team."

"Fast forward to this summer and to iOS 9 beta. iOS 9 introduces another feature that will seriously impact Photosmith: multitasking. Multitasking not only impacts the user interface, but also memory management – it’s hard enough to render 20+ megapixel images when the app has the iPad’s full attention, but having to share the same memory with another app at the same time introduces a whole new set of problems. It also eliminated all possibility of a “new coat of paint” approach to catching up to iOS 7+ style UI instead requiring a throw-the-baby-with-the-bathwater approach.

In the end, the biggest roadblock to development wasn’t the raw time, ideas, or dedication. It was that the platform (iOS mostly) continued to change under us. Yes, progress is good, and software continues to evolve. However, when major changes were required every 12 months just so that the software could continue to operate, it severely cuts into what additional development time is left over for the app itself. Apple has created a fantastic platform with iOS, but is doing a disservice to its developers."

• Ben
    Options

I am not dictating anything just pointing out that Apple has a lot of discretionary powers beyond our control. You tagged the wrong person.

Sorry about that; fixed.

The long and short of it is that we don't support 1Password on jailbroken devices and that isn't likely to change. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you're intent on running jailbroken iOS I hope you're able to find a solution that meets your needs, but again, we cannot endorse that.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am not dictating anything just pointing out that Apple has a lot of discretionary powers beyond our control. You tagged the wrong person.

@wkleem: You're right on all counts. That was a rather stupid mistake on my part. Sorry. :(

In the end, the biggest roadblock to development wasn’t the raw time, ideas, or dedication. It was that the platform (iOS mostly) continued to change under us. Yes, progress is good, and software continues to evolve. However, when major changes were required every 12 months just so that the software could continue to operate, it severely cuts into what additional development time is left over for the app itself. Apple has created a fantastic platform with iOS, but is doing a disservice to its developers."

This really sounds like a mismatched business model. It would be great to see them make a comeback now that Apple has added subscriptions to the App Store. It sounds like that would be a better fit for Photosmith, especially since adding RAW support for new cameras is necessarily an ongoing process.

This discussion has been closed.