Family Portrait Picture Loads Sideways!

RDT_Thornton
RDT_Thornton
Community Member

After uploading a Family Portrait picture the picture is sideways.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS Sierra Version 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Family Portrait is loading picture wrong...it's sideways.

Comments

• Hi @RDT_Thornton - Thank you for letting us know. Did you use Safari to upload the picture? If so, can you try using a different browser to upload the picture? Any additional details you provide will be appreciated so I can have a developer look into this a little more. Keep us posted :-)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Frank, I just uploaded a picture using Safari in my iPad Pro (9.7) and I had this happen. When uploaded a picture using my MacBook using Safari, no issues at all.

• Hey @prime

Was it the same picture in both cases?

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Ben

I upload the same picture from my Macbook to the same spot, and it was fine. I went back to my iPad and re-did it (using the same picture) and it's sideways.

• Thanks folks!

We do have an issue filed to track this, but as far as we can tell at this point this is a bug with Safari. There are a couple of ways we could work around this, but they've been rejected. We'll need to wait for Apple to fix Safari.

Ben

ref: B5-1912

• DocSchlock
    DocSchlock
    Community Member

I'm having this exact issue on Chrome 57 on Windows 10, trying to upload profile pictures to a Family account and my personal profile. It will only load pictures sideways.

• Hi @DocSchlock - Well that's not supposed to happen. As Ben mentioned previously, we were having an issue with Safari but Chrome should be fine. I just tried this myself and the profile picture uploaded correctly. Can you provide me with the exact steps so we can try to reproduce the issue on our end? Sorry for the troubles and keep me posted. I don't want you to be stuck with a sideways profile picture. :+1:

• DocSchlock
    DocSchlock
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Sure!

I go to my Family account site and log in.

Click on the upper-right dropdown and select "My Profile"

I click "edit" on the profile pic box and find my picture (which looks perfectly fine on my hard drive) and bam.

It continues to be sideways on my account. A bit frustrating to say the least.

I'm on Chrome 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit).

• Frank
    edited March 2017

Oh hey @DocSchlock :waves: Thank you for sending over additional the details. Hmmm... I'm a little stumped at the moment. I opened an issue so I can have one of our developers look into this for you. Sorry for not having a better answer at the moment but we'll update you here :+1:

ref: b5-2600

• Hi, @DocSchlock.

This kind of issue is almost always image-specific. It can happen if the camera used to take the picture saves the image in a certain way. I have a few more questions to help us track this down.

1. Could you tell me what camera was used to take this picture and what image editors (if any) have been used on it since then?
    2. Could you try opening just the image itself in Chrome? If you have Chrome open, you should be able to drag the image onto the Chrome icon to view it there. I'm curious if it appears sideways in Chrome this way.
    3. Could you upload the original image to a file sharing service (not a photo sharing service) and provide a link? Photo sharing services often make corrections to image orientation, but a file sharing service should leave the file intact so we can inspect it.

Thanks! :)

• DocSchlock
    DocSchlock
    Community Member

Hey @rob

1. iPhone 6 front camera. No edits at all, aside from fiddling with the rotation using Win10 after it loaded sideways initially.
    2. It opens normally in Chrome, no issue.
    3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ay3yjb9f1oorv8d/2016-06-23 12.57.31.jpg?dl=0
  • Hi @DocSchlock,

Thanks for the image. With it I was able to reproduce the issue using Chrome on my Mac. I've attached the image to our bug report internally. I sounds like we may not be respecting the orientation of the image when it has been changed (rotated).

We'll try to get this fixed up.

Rick

• DocSchlock
    DocSchlock
    Community Member

Nice to know my face is now official bug report material!

• You're famous now! Thank you for sending over the additional details which will help us get this squared away for you. Sorry for the inconvenience at the moment. We'll make sure to update you here :+1:

• Hi, @DocSchlock.

Thanks again for the image. I think I understand the issue and a possible solution, but it will take a bit of work to get there. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to this, but in the meantime, if you export your picture as a PNG, it should work fine. Please let me know! :)

• DocSchlock
    DocSchlock
    Community Member

That worked! Converting it to a PNG made it show up correctly.

• Fantastic! Thank you for letting us know @DocSchlock :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

So bring this up again. I uploaded a photo from my iPad and it was great. I have another vault, wanted to add a photo in it to show it's different from the other vaults, and it came up sideways. Both uploaded from the iPad, both from the same "folder" (pictures taken from the same day), running the lastest iOS in safari.

I also uploaded last night a photo from my MacBook and it came up sideways. Uploaded a different photo and it was fine.

Strange.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Sorry about that! :(

It sounds like you're experiencing this specifically in Safari on iOS and macOS. Is that correct? Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution on our end.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty It's not a big deal, and it was on both macOS and iOS, which was the strange part. I thought it was just iOS. I just wanted to let you guys know about it. I even played around on the macOS too. I turned the picture 90 degrees, so when I uploaded the photo, it then should be corrected. That photo uploaded in the 90 degrees that I did to offset it :lol:
    So I re-corrected the photo to normal, uploaded it, and it was fine. I think I'm in The Twilight Zone :lol:

I just laughed, but I thought I would let you know what I found playing with it.

• Frank
    edited June 2017

Thank you @Prime for the additional details and for letting us know :+1: It looks like Brenty made the team aware of the issue and hopefully we'll have a fix for this soon :smile: By the way, I love the Twilight Zone!

ref: b5-2600

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Frank no problem! And The Twilight Zone is awesome. Gotta love the classics! I want to get the original The Mummy also, with Boris Karloff soon. I haven't seen that classic in a long time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But weirdly Netflix only has seasons 1, 2, 3, and 5...

Anyway, we'll see what we can do to improve the way images are handled server side to make sure the Twilight Zone stays where it belongs: on TV. :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.