iPhone won't delete the app completely

Options
mwslaughter
mwslaughter
Community Member

I did the wiggle delete on the 1password app and then tried reinstalling it (after rebooting the phone). The reinstalled app had an odd looking icon (white background with a black spider web). I wiggle deleted it again but the app still showed up in the settings tab with the other apps so I rebooted again. Then I went through the settings/general/storage/manage storage route and deleted the app there and rebooted the phone again. It still shows up under Settings - in the app section near the bottom with the funny icon. When I try to use iTunes I can delete the app from iTunes and re-sync the phone but that doesn't get rid of it. When I re-download the app and try re-synching the phone iTunes only give me two options (Remove/Will Remove). For some reason my phone will not delete the app completely.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 10.3.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mwslaughter: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Unfortunately there isn't really anything we can do if you're having issues removing/installing the app, as this is handled by iOS and the App Store. But this has definitely happened to me with apps from time to time, so I'm happy to offer some suggestions that have helped in my own experience. Just keep in mind that ultimately you may need to contact Apple if the problem persists.

1. Anecdotally, I've seen issues like this much more with iOS devices syncing with iTunes. You can still backup your data using iTunes and/or iCloud though. Just something to consider going forward. But to be clear, this isn't your fault. It's an iOS issue, and this is just a suggestion as to how you might avoid it. Apple should be able to help in either case.
    2. Try deleting the app from our device, both from the home screen, and in iOS Settings (General > Storage > Manage), restart your device, and then attempt the same again just to be sure.
    3. Wait. Often when I've encountered issues like this, nothing I've done has helped, but it sorted itself out in time. The "spider web" is a grid icon that is a placeholder for iOS apps that are not fully loaded. Usually this is because they are in the process of installing, but it's possible that there's a caching issue where something is stuck on the device and it cannot properly manage the app. This has happened to me more on older iOS devices or at times when I've had very low storage space, but iOS is generally pretty resilient and will clear things up if we're patient.

Again, I apologize that I don't have a clearer solution for you, but hopefully these help point you in the right direction at least. Please let me know how it turns out!

This discussion has been closed.