To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Just opened trial account on iPad. Have old account on MacBook need to delete.

Options
1987Martin
1987Martin
Community Member

Years ago I had a 1Password account on my Mac but I haven't used it in a long time. I forgot it even existed until I successfully set up an account on my new iPad and then tried to use the iPad account's secret key to open 1Password on the Mac. I got a message saying that it was the wrong secret key and the Mac's secret key was very different. I understand the problem but I don't know how to delete the old account on the Mac. I want to add the new account to my Mac. I do not know the old account's secret key. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Just opened trial account on iPad. Have old account on MacBook need to delete.

Comments

• Tully
    Tully
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @1987Martin, excited to hear you're taking a 1Password account for a spin!

If you've just signed up for a 1Password account on the iPad, a Secret Key was generated for you during the setup process – it's a long string of 34 letters and numbers separated by dashes. This works hand-in-hand with the Master Password you create to secure your account. (Our knowledge base has more info about Secret Keys and how they work, as well as on how to get help locating your Secret Key.)

If you first used 1Password for Mac a while back, you almost certainly did so without a 1Password account (they're a fairly recent addition), in which case the app won't need a Secret Key at all – it's locked with the Master Password you chose at that time. For security nobody has access to the app or account without the Master Password, so if you've forgotten what this was there are a few steps you can try and, failing that, you can reset your 1Password data, then start afresh by adding your 1Password account to your Mac. Please note, resetting all your 1Password data will delete all the data from 1Password including your vaults, items, and settings.

Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.