How do I transfer the data in my 1password v 2.4 to the current version of 1password?

Options
madwiser
madwiser
Community Member

How do I transfer the data in my 1password v 2.4 to the current version of 1password v 6.7.1. I tried exporting from 2.4 to 6.7 but it says the file is no compatible.

1Password Version: 2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:convert from 1password version 2.4

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @madwiser,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Could you please confirm for me it is actually version 2.4 of 1Password that you are currently running? If so that would be 7+ years old...and I'm honestly not sure there is a migration path to the latest version anymore. If that is indeed what you have we'll do some research. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• madwiser
    madwiser
    Community Member
    Options

Confirmed. It is version 2.4. It's still runs fine, but I'm afraid iOS 11 will break it. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@madwiser: Indeed, iOS 11 is 64-only, and this wasn't available until just a few years ago.

It's been a while, but I was certain that 1Password for iOS started at version 3, since that's what we had on the Mac at that time. Could you please clarify what you're seeing, as far as the version information and any errors? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• madwiser
    madwiser
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Screen shot attached.

Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@madwiser: Thanks! That's encouraging. It might not be easy, but you should be able to update to a more recent version (ca. 2011) as an intermediate step, and then migrate your data to the latest. Please do the following:

1. Follow the steps in this guide to backup your data. Only backup. Don't do anything else yet.
    2. Open the App Store, go to Updates > Purchased and search for "1Password" there. This should show you the latest release of the old app (it will have a similar icon). A screenshot of what you see there would be great, and probably save you some typing.

Let me know what you find!

• madwiser
    madwiser
    Community Member
    Options

There is no update available and when I look in the app section in iTunes, I only see the newest 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@madwiser: The trick is that it will not be shown when browsing in the App Store or iTunes, as it is a very old app. As far as I know the only way to get it is by doing what I described above, searching in App Store > Updates > Purchased:

Do you see one of those? If not, it means your account only has access to the version you already have installed. I'm not sure what can be done in that case, as that was discontinued many years before the current version and the migration process to newer releases was developed (or needed). Fingers crossed.

• madwiser
    madwiser
    Community Member
    Options

Found it in purchased apps. It says I have version 3.7.2, but when I open the app it says version 2.4 in the About page as shown in previous upload.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@madwiser: Oh dear. Thank you. This could be either good news or bad news, but it's progress. It seems as though the App Store has a newer version for you, but has for some reason not offered it as an update. Probably the only way to get the more recent version is to uninstall the one you have currently. Obviously that's the bad news, as we don't want you to lose data. But if the App Store won't update you, that's really the only option to get the newer version. This is where backup comes in. Were you able to do that?. Apart from simply starting over from scratch or manually re-entering data into the current version of 1Password, there are two things you can try (though I'm uncertain if either will work at this late stage):

1. If you have a Mac, you may be able to sync your data over to 1Password there via Wi-Fi. This is iffy because you may not be able to find a Mac that will run a compatible version of 1Password, and it may not work properly, as it was developed in the previous decade for very different hardware and OS X. But it's an idea we could pursue.
    2. If you're able to backup your data from the app you're currently running, it may be possible to delete the app, install the newer one (3.7.2 would be great), and restore it. This is iffy because I'm not confident that the App Store will let you install the app again, since it hasn't let you update it. And it may be even then that something has broken in the intervening years, where you'd be unable to restore properly.

But if either of those works out, you'll have your data in a position to migrate it to a newer version of 1Password. Let me know what we have to work with. :)

This discussion has been closed.