Auto detect, generate, save, and fill security question answers.

Options

It would be great if 1Password would detect, save, and auto-fill security question answers. I would even be happy if 1Password would generate strong answers to those questions. Obviously, those answers wouldn't necessarily make any sense, but I wouldn't care because 1Password. ;-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SHINSF1PASS
    SHINSF1PASS
    Community Member
    Options

This would be awesome. The so called security questions (favorite movie, first car, last girlfriend's brother's wife maiden name) are rubbish and I try to fill with unique answers (my mother now has 47 maiden names) but then I have to manage them all manually some how. (usually I take a screen shot and store it in 1Password.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jeffreydwalter & @SHINSF1PASS,

Thanks for writing in, it would be great if 1Password could detect these kinds of questions and fill in the details into the page for you similar to the username & password fields. Thank you for the suggestion! With all the other shiny new features we're creating I can't guarantee that this will make into the product but it is something we will certainly consider.

For now, I would like to suggest how to make filling security questions a lot quicker using 1Password's Custom Fields feature. This does involve a little more manual steps initially, once it's done you should be able to access and fill the answers to your security questions super quick. My suggestion would be:

1. Once you have a Login item created for a website, open the 1Password app on your Desktop and select it so it's visible.
    2. Click "Edit" to edit the Login item. This will allow you to add a custom section & some fields to contain the security questions.
    3. Now scroll down just after the website field(s) and you'll see a greyed our Section field. You can change this to something like "Security Questions". (see 3 in the screenshot at the end of these instructions).
    4. Next you can add custom fields to this, e.g. First Car, Mother's Maiden Name, etc. Each of the custom fields can be prescribed a type - I would recommend choosing the "Password" type as that will hide the value by default (see 4 in the screenshot below).
    5. Add each of your security questions and answers as a field-value pair.

Once you've added those custom fields you can easily access them via the 1Password Mini. So for example, on the Mac you can click the 1Password browser extension button to bring up the Mini, hover over the Login item to show the hovercard of the Login item. The custom fields will appear there and allow you to easily copy them into the clipboard ready to paste into the web login form. See screenshot below for an example:

I hope this helps improves your login experience for now - let me know what you think.

Thanks again for the wonderful suggestion - we always love hearing suggestions from customers :chuffed:

Best regards,
    Matthew

• sdg
    sdg
    Community Member
    Options

I'd also love to see this feature. Matthew, the problem with the workflow you suggest is that, for a lot of sites, the page on which we create the username and password is the same time on which we get asked to create the security questions. Which means that we lose one of the features of 1Password - automatically recognizing usernames on a page that we just created a password for, and generating a login. Instead I have to stop mid page, convert the password I just generated to a login, and edit the login to create the section and "passwords" you're talking about, copy them back into the form, and then continue on. I've also noticed that it this case, 1Password won't capture the login, so that has to be entered in the earlier step as well.

Thanks,
    Sam

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @sdg,

Thanks for writing in :chuffed:

Matthew, the problem with the workflow you suggest is that, for a lot of sites, the page on which we create the username and password is the same time on which we get asked to create the security questions.

I should have been more clear in my suggestion. When I wrote that suggestion, I was assuming a Login item already existed for the website perhaps after a 1Password user had created it after logging in and then going to edit their security questions. At registration time though is different and I see your point - it is a bit of a chicken and egg problem. How do you use my steps if you don't have a Login item already created? The way I think about it, you could do it in a number of ways:

Option 1

1. Fill out the registration form with your new username, password and security questions.
    2. Before Registering, create a Secure Note within 1Password and copy you security questions and answers into it.
    3. Submit the registration and 1Password should offer to create your Login item.

After this point you will have a Login item in 1Password and can proceed with Step 1 from my preview post. This is quite a manual process unfortunately and I think we both agree that it would be awesome if 1Password could automatically create and save these security answers for you at registration time.

Option 2

1. Fill out the registration form with your new username, password but do not fill out the security questions.
    2. Click "Register" or "Submit" on the registration web form to attempt to register. The website registration should fail as you would expect but this is OK. In clicking the Register button on the web form, 1Password attempt to Autosave and will offer to save a Login for you.
    3. If you save the Login item at this point then you will have a Login item but can still edit the security questions in the registration form.
    4. At this point, you should be able follow the original method in my previous post.

We have spoken about adding support for Security Questions internally and hopefully we'll be able to implement this in the future. Unfortunately this isn't something we're looking at currently.

I hope those suggestions help for future website registrations, please do let us know if you've any further questions or comments.

I've also noticed that it this case, 1Password won't capture the login, so that has to be entered in the earlier step as well.

I'd love to try out the registration page you noticed this on. I will try it out and see if I can reproduce the same issue. It would be super helpful if you could let me know which version of 1Password your using too so I can try using the same software you were.

Best regards,
    Matthew

ref: OPX-921

This discussion has been closed.