the 1password icon in my menu bar opens up unexpectedly and intermittently.

Options
justingirves
justingirves
Community Member

Please instruct me how I can stop the 1password icon from opening on its own.

Thanks,
Justin

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: not sure
Referrer: forum-search:the 1password icon in my menu bar opens up unexpectedly and intermittently.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justingirves,

Could you tell me a bit more about when you notice this? You mention that it’s intermittent, but that makes it rather difficult to diagnose, unfortunately. Here are a few follow-up questions to help us track this down:

• The default keyboard shortcut to open 1Password mini is ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ). Might you be using these keystrokes while typing?
    • Does this happen when you have filled in your username and password on a website?
    • How does 1Password pop up? Do you see the lock screen or is there a message of some sort prompting you to take an action?
  • justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    Thanks for your response!
    To answer your questions, I am not using the keyboard shortcut. Nor is the issue happening when I fill in my user name and password on a website.
    When 1Password opens it show the lock screen, just as it would if I were to click the icon.
    Unfortunately, intermittent is the best way I can describe the behavior. It doesn't seem to coincide with any actions that I have observed.

I should probably tell you too that I use Safari, and I have the extension enabled in the browser.

Thanks,
    Justin

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justingirves,

Thanks for your answers to Megan's questions, and I've got one more question for you. :)

You've described the issue like this in the discussion's title:

the 1password icon in my menu bar opens up unexpectedly and intermittently.

Is it the 1Password icon in the Apple menu bar at the top of the screen opening that way?

I might know what's triggering it and have to look up some details. We'll get this figured out!

• justingirves
    justingirves
    Community Member
    Options

Hi and thanks for your response!
    Yes, it is the icon in the Apple menu bar, not the icon in safari, that is opening up on its own.

Thanks,
    Justin

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

You're welcome, Justin!

Just returning here after a call, and had already found what I was looking for before it. :)

Yes, it is the icon in the Apple menu bar, not the icon in safari, that is opening up on its own.

Thanks for confirming! And from your earlier reply:

When 1Password opens it show the lock screen, just as it would if I were to click the icon.

That correlates with what I suspect is the issue you're having.

One way this can be triggered is by using 1Click bookmarks for Login items, possibly through LaunchBar or Alfred or Quicksilver, while 1Password is locked. Or using 1Click bookmarks created by dragging Login items from the 1Password app to the Favorites Bar or other 'bookmark' locations in Safari. Even opening a 1Click bookmark that's on the Desktop or anywhere else will do it -- with Safari and Firefox.

To demonstrate, here's a GIF animation I made when filing a related bug. There's a 1Click bookmark for Daring Fireball on the right end of Safari's Favorites bar. Clicking it with 1Password locked opens the locked view of 1Password mini. And you can get stuck in a "locked view loop" until closing the current tab or unlocking 1Password.

Does any of this sound or look like it explains what's been happening for you?

• Rene7
    Rene7
    Community Member
    Options

I had this annoying problem last year and some revision made it go away. However, in the last month or so, the problem has returned. I am using version 670008 of 1Password and OS X 10.12.5.

It seems to happen when I am on Safari. However, it will happen even as I am reading the news on my.yahoo.com.

It also happens as I am filing out forms (i.e. credit card info, login info, etc.) where I will be typing into a field, looking at my keyboard and suddenly I realize that while I was typing in a field, the popup appeared and I've now been typing into 1Password's password field!

It is quite annoying. I simply takes over without seemingly logical reasons.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rene7,

I had this annoying problem last year and some revision made it go away.

Do you happen to remember what sort of "revision" solved the problem for you last year? That might help us figure out why it's happening again and/or how to solve it.

...in the last month or so, the problem has returned.

When this happens, does the 1Password mini window seem to be opening from the icon in your Mac's menu bar at the top of the screen, or from the extension icon/button in Safari's toolbar?

It also happens as I am filing out forms (i.e. credit card info, login info, etc.) where I will be typing into a field, looking at my keyboard...

Is there any chance you're accidentally typing either the ⌘\ (command+backslash) or ⌥⌘\ (option+command+backslash) keyboard shortcut?

If you're not accidentally using one of the keyboard shortcuts, then this could be due to one of the reasons that Scott explained above:

One way this can be triggered is by using 1Click bookmarks for Login items, possibly through LaunchBar or Alfred or Quicksilver, while 1Password is locked. Or using 1Click bookmarks created by dragging Login items from the 1Password app to the Favorites Bar or other 'bookmark' locations in Safari. Even opening a 1Click bookmark that's on the Desktop or anywhere else will do it -- with Safari and Firefox.

Let us know what you think and if that might explain the behavior you're noticing. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.