Since going to version 6.71, Chrome gives me a security warning and disables 1PW. What changed?

Options

Since upgrading to v 6.71, I get a warning from Chrome that 1PW can change all the data on any website I visit and disables it. What changed in v 6.71 as I never received that warning before. It also says that 1PW can talk natively with other cooperating applications. Please tell me why I'm getting this warning.

1Password Version: 6.71
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:version 6.71 gets a security warning from Chrome and gets disabled

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @rjchombre,

Thanks for writing in and sorry for any alarm caused. The Chrome extension has always had the permission to "Read and change all your data on websites you visit". Without this permission, the 1Password extension wouldn't be able to read the web forms on the websites you visit and edit them for you automatically.

We have recently added a new permission to the Chrome extension called "Communicate with cooperating native applications." Unfortunately, Chrome doesn't distinguish between pre-existing permissions and new permissions in the latest update to the extension. This new permission will allow the 1Password extension to talk with the main 1Password app over a new channel that will be more reliable than the channel it currently uses to communicate.

In summary, the message is unfortunately alarming but is expected and is safe to accept.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rjchombre,

Following up to what Matthew explained, I also wanted to refer you to this announcement post:

Extension disabled in Chrome or Chromium-based browser and asking for new permissions

In particular, the last sentence from it:

Cheers!

• rjchombre
    rjchombre
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information and timely response.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Matthew and sjk, you're very welcome! If you have more questions or need help with 1Password, don't hesitate to let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.