Support for older iOS

Options
alanhowells
alanhowells
Community Member

Please can you stop dropping support for older iOS's.

We cannot all afford to change phones all the time, and older iPhones (like the iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2) are still perfectly usable, yet I cannot use the app because it won't let me log in as a family member.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 7.1.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:support older ios

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @alanhowells,

My apologies for the inconvenience, but we cannot support operating systems that Apple themselves no longer support. The effort required in combination with the features we'd have to forego are too great. In addition, as a security focused company, we cannot recommend the use of old systems that are no longer receiving updates. iOS 7 was last updated almost exactly 2 years ago. A lot has changed in the last two years as far as the security threats that exist and the technologies available.

Again my apologies, but the answer here is unfortunately no: we can't. I hope you understand.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

It's no consolation, but 1Password 6.7 is a free update (Pro features included) from 1Password 4.x. Also the cheapest iPhone SE will run on iOS 11. Apple in March 2017 doubled the minimum storage to 32GB and 128GB from 16GB and 64GB while maintaining their respective prices.

Add to the fact that 32bit apps are being deprecated as Apple moves to a 64bit OS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Those are good points. I still have a soft spot in my heart for my iPhone 3G and 4, but sticking with old hardware/OSes means sacrificing a lot of technological advances, not just new versions of 1Password. And while not technically free, much newer, supported iPhones are available for 0$ or 99$ down in many cases. Upgrading nets a lot more than being able to get the most out of 1Password. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Brent

The original poster did not indicate if he has multiple iOS devices. ICloud Drive, introduced with iOS 8, will, if permitted convert iCloud to Cloud Drive on the same AppleID and render an iOS 7 device inaccessible to future iCloud versions. His problem may actually have nothing to do with Agilebits.

The reverse is also true: iOS 8+ cannot use iCloud from iOS 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah that's definitely a wrinkle. But it sounds like they're just not able to use a 1Password.com account since these were introduced in 1Password 6. Development of iOS 7 and 1Password 4 ended years ago though, before 1Password.com even existed. And frankly given the lack of WebCrypto support in Safari in old OS releases (macOS too), it just isn't technically feasible for 1Password.com to work there anyway. Timing is everything.

Anyway, I remember that the iOS7-8 transition (and Mavericks-Yosemite, if I remember correctly) was a really rough time for not only 1Password users, but anyone syncing data between multiple devices via iCloud. And similarly, it was worth it in the long run though. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.