I want to enter a new account (?) and I can't open it after I put in the user names and passwords.

Options
Johnwitt
Johnwitt
Community Member
edited June 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

I have 1Password and it takes data when I enter a site and asks if I want to put it in. My problem is that I have a new website for the apartment complex in which we live. So I went to Password clicked new account or whatever and entered the user name and password. It shows in my Password but I can not open to the website I just put in. Why? I am 82 years old and don't use twitter or Facebook. How do I get help in this technology drunk atmosphere? My email address is [email address removed by AgileBits].

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I just want to enter a new account and have it work

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Johnwitt,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble saving and using a new Login item! These are public forums and we don’t want you to get any unsolicited email, so I removed your email address from your message. :)

From your description, it sounds like you created a new Login item directly in the 1Password app. It also sounds like you entered your username and password in that Login item, but not the website address. If so, the main problem is that you didn't enter the website address, so 1Password has no way to associate that Login item with the website.

Also, instead of creating a new Login item directly in the 1Password app, it's best to save it using the 1Password extension in your web browser. Normally, you can just open the website, sign in with your username and password, and 1Password will offer to create a new Login item for you. We explain how to do that here: Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that. Thanks! :)

• Johnwitt
    Johnwitt
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry but it did not help. I got a dialogue box that said "Safari can't install this extension." An error occurred while installing the extension 1 Password. What do I do now.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Johnwitt,

Is it possible you already have the 1Password extension installed in Safari? If so, that can cause the error message you're getting when trying to install it again. From Safari, please go to Safari > Preferences and click the Extensions tab. Is 1Password listed there? If so, that explains the error message. Which version is currently installed in Safari?

• Johnwitt
    Johnwitt
    Community Member
    Options

Safari Extensions shows 1 Password is available and I can click the "Learn more" button. Beyond that I don't know where to look for it. Any other thoughts?

• Johnwitt
    Johnwitt
    Community Member
    Options

When I go to 1 Password extensions and click browser it offers me the chance to install extensions but when I click to install I get stopped as described above. Why does it work on some the the sites like my bank and broker but on new additions it blocks me out?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Johnwitt,

Safari Extensions shows 1 Password is available and I can click the "Learn more" button.

To make sure you're looking in the right place, please open Safari and follow these steps:

1. Go to Safari > Preferences in the menu bar, then click the Extensions tab.
    2. If you see the 1Password extension in the left side of the Extensions tab, select it.
    3. To the right, you'll see some information about the 1Password extension, including the version number.

Is the 1Password extension installed in Safari? If so, what is its version number? If you're not seeing something like the above screenshot, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of what you see instead (just make sure it doesn't show any personal/private information). When replying, you can drag the screenshot into your message, or click the "Attach image" button above the comment field and select the file.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Johnwitt
    Johnwitt
    Community Member
    Options

I have version 4.6.6 and I tried to attach by dragging and it did not work. I must be doing something wrong.
    The left column just shows 1 Password and is checked and highlighted, the right shows the version and offers an uninstall button.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @Johnwitt! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum.

It sounds like the latest version of the extension is already installed in Safari, so that's good. You don't need to try reinstalling it (Safari will just give you an error if you do).

You mentioned that the 1Password extension works with some sites, but not with the new website for your apartment complex. I'd like you to try saving a new Login item for that site by following the steps here: Manually save a new Login

After following those steps, try using the new Login item to fill the sign-in form on that website. Does it work?

This discussion has been closed.