I can't figure out why Airdrop and Mail have disappeared from the share menu for individual items.

Options
kellyNYC
kellyNYC
Community Member

The only options showing are Messages and Print. I use Airdrop to copy items from a secondary computer to my phone (which then syncs to my primary computer at another location). Any ideas?

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: none (on this computer)
Referrer: forum-search:airdrop

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kellyNYC,

Is AirDrop currently enabled and working on the Mac where that option is missing from the Share options in 1Password? If you don't mind, please test it by using AirDrop to send a file from that Mac to your iPhone. If for some reason that isn't working, that probably explains why it isn't available in 1Password. Similarly, is the Mail app set up on that Mac?

Out of curiosity, which sync option are you using between your iPhone and your "primary computer"? Is there a reason you don't also sync them with the Mac in question? The reason I ask is because it seems like there might be a better way to keep your 1Password data in sync across your devices.

Thanks in advance! :)

• kellyNYC
    kellyNYC
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew. I didn't think to look past 1P for the problem. AirDrop was missing from the Mac in general but came back after a reboot, so now I'm fixed.

I'm syncing with the WLAN method (local only) and I understand that I can only sync 2 devices. So I'll occasionally import a backup of the primary to the secondary. If I happen to create a new login on the secondary, I just AirDrop it to my phone so that it then syncs to primary. I know this isn't ideal but I just can't mentally get there in terms of any of the cloud based syncing options. The secondary is at a second home so this seems to work for me.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @kellyNYC, I'm glad the AirDrop option is back now!

Thanks for letting us know about your sync setup, that makes more sense now. The WLAN Server sync option can work between more than 2 devices, but only one of those devices can be a Mac (or Windows PC), as the computer acts as the server. If you had multiple iOS (or Android) devices, you could sync them all with 1Password on one Mac, but you need a different option to also sync your other Mac.

It sounds like you've figured out a workaround that works for you, but we're happy to help you switch to a more convenient sync option if you'd like. A 1Password.com account is the easiest way to keep your 1Password data up to date on all your devices, but if you don't want to sign up for an account, Dropbox and iCloud are also good options. If you're curious, you can find information about the different sync options here: Sync your 1Password data

If you're concerned about the safety of your 1Password data when using a cloud based sync service, please know that 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password doesn't depend on the security of the cloud sync service to protect your data. You might be interested in reading this page of our support site: How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

We're here for you if you have any questions or need help with 1Password. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.