Master password not correct when syncing to dropbox?

mmiller500
mmiller500
Community Member

When trying to sync from Dropbox to new iPhone, both master and shared accounts say master password is not correct? I've double checked from both the app and from a browser. How to correct this please?

1Password Version: 6.7.2 iOS, 6.7.1 OSx
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:iphone

Comments

• Hi @mmiller500,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Do you still have access to your 1Password data from another device? If so the first thing I'd recommend doing is making a backup:

1Password backups

With standalone vaults each vault has its own unique Master Password (though you may have chosen the same Master Password for each). Please make sure when adding a vault that you are entering the Master Password for that vault, which is not necessarily the Master Password you use to unlock 1Password.

Please let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• mmiller500
    mmiller500
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I have backed up to be sure I've got it all.

Yes, I have access from my main iPhone. I'm setting up an iPhone for my assistant. She uses it on her Mac just fine, has access to her main vault and my shared vault.

But when trying to connect to her main vault on the iPhone it gives the wrong password message. Should her main vault password be the same as her login password on the Mac? If so, then something is wrong.

And I'm not sure now if I used the same password for my main vault and shared vault. If I need to change, how would I go about that?

Many thanks!

Michael

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mmiller500,

Thanks for the additional details! The master password your assistant uses to unlock the 1Password app on her Mac is the master password for her Primary vault. That also automatically unlocks any secondary vaults that have been added to the 1Password app on that device, although each vault has its own master password. When adding a vault to the 1Password app on another device, the master password for that specific vault will be required.

With that in mind:

But when trying to connect to her main vault on the iPhone it gives the wrong password message. Should her main vault password be the same as her login password on the Mac?

Is your assistant's "main vault" the one set up as the Primary vault on her Mac? If so, then the master password she uses to unlock 1Password on her Mac should be the same one she needs to enter when syncing her "main vault" to 1Password on her iPhone. Then, when she adds your shared vault to 1Password on her iPhone, she'll need to enter the master password for that shared vault.

And I'm not sure now if I used the same password for my main vault and shared vault. If I need to change, how would I go about that?

You'll need to know the master password for the shared vault in order to change it to something else. But that might make things even more confusing right now, so I'd hold off on doing that for the moment. First, let's make sure your assistant can sync her "main vault" to 1Password on her iPhone. If she's able to do that, then she can try adding your shared vault. Let us know how it all goes, and we'll continue from there. Cheers! :)

• mmiller500
    mmiller500
    Community Member

Thanks Drew.

Yes, for my assistant, her primary vault on the mac is the primary vault we're trying to connect to on iOS. When putting in the same master password as used on the laptop, the phone tells us it's the incorrect master password.

I agree, let's leave the shared vault password issue for the moment (though that's really what I'm trying to share with her!)

Thoughts?

Michael

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @mmiller500! Ok, let's double-check a setting: On your assistant's Mac, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar, then click on the Sync tab in the Preferences window. Select the Primary vault on the left side, and check the file name and file path shown there for the sync file in Dropbox. Is that the exact same file (in the same location) she is selecting in 1Password on her iPhone?

If so, I'm not sure why the same master password isn't working, but it's possible there's a problem with the sync file in Dropbox. She can reset that sync file to see if it helps:

On her Mac:

1. Open & unlock the main 1Password app, then go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    2. Click the Sync tab, select the Primary vault on the left, and change the sync setting from Dropbox to None.
    3. Click the box next to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    4. Open the Dropbox folder on that Mac and make sure the sync file for that vault has been deleted.
    5. In 1Password, go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    6. Change the sync setting from None back to Dropbox.
    7. Click the Choose button and select the main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    8. Click Create New to create a new 1Password.opvault sync file in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.
    9. Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

Once the new sync file has finished uploading to Dropbox, she should try again to sync with it on her iPhone. Does it accept the master password this time?

This discussion has been closed.