Wow this is working very well for "alpha" status

I have just install it and used it on a couple sites I keep using over and over like AWS.. so far is all good! <3 I will post if any issues come up.
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I agree. I am playing around and it's nice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime, @rek2: I agree 100%, and I can say this because I didn't actually get to see it for the first time until yesterday either myself. Really enjoying using it on Ubuntu, and looking forward to watching it grow. :)

• Awesome! Thanks for letting us know, @rek2! I know of at least two issues with Amazon Web Services and I'm happy you haven't tripped over them yet ;)

I'm going to try to fix them today before you notice! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@dteare I played with it for about 5 mins (I work late and we needed get food for the house), and maybe it was me, but I would click on a item, and it launched and filled right away. Like at 1st if I clicked the login just right, I saw the info, and it not, it just filled and opened. Like it was too touchy.

I'll play with it some more, but not sure if @rek2 noticed this or not. I know my track pad seems more touchy then my MacBook was also. So that can be it as well.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@prime We are definitely working on this (I know what you mean by "touchy"). Currently, to view the item details, you need to click on the arrow pointing to the right. Clicking anywhere else on the item will attempt to fill it.

Instead of clicking around, I've actually primarily been navigating the extension using my arrow keys (and hitting enter to fill). In my opinion, this is way faster and more accurate. I also my just like the feeling of zooming back and forth between Items, details, and categories. ;)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@beyer I did see the arrow after playing around, but I don't remember it being there right away. I'll look at it when I get home. And good idea about the arrow keys too, I'll try that.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@prime - Awesome! As with most things Linux related, once you go keyboard... you don't go back.
    In all seriousness though, navigation will improve as we publish more updates!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@beyer thanks for that tip. The IT guy here at work uses Linux and I don't see him use a mouse that often, a lot of keyboard now that I think of it.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

It sounds like your IT guy and I would get along then. ;)

• Stefan Schmidt
    Stefan Schmidt
    Community Member

The arrow is not there anymore after you perform a search instead you get an edit button on a detailed item view. This had me confused at first. I think it would be a better user experience to have the arrow show up if you hover over an item. Sometimes i have dozens of results for a search so being able to use the mouse scroll wheel and to point and click would speed up things greatly IMHO.

• Stefan Schmidt
    Stefan Schmidt
    Community Member

<- "IT guy" here as well btw. ;)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@stefanscheidt: You are absolutely correct, thanks for the excellent feedback. I'm delighted to see you made it over here and you're taking our new extension for a test drive! :eh:

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Oh great point @stefanscheidt! I had designed the list view interactions when we had been trying a different mouse behavior there so the buttons made sense at that point but then we changed some things and I didn't even think of how it affected this. I'll work on this very soon.

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

I tip my hats to you good Sirs, this is indeed mightily impressive for an alpha build. I was expecting it to be in a much less functional and polished state. Regarding the keyboard navigation. I use the arrow keys to highlight the category and then a password, how do i then select that password to see the details (like clicking the circular arrow icon pointing right) . I would have expected just to press the right arrow on the keyboard but it doesn't work. Pressing the space bar opens a new tab for that website to autofill.

Update:
    Never mind, it does indeed work as i would expect it to, i must have just been in an area with dodgy internet signal while on the train. (I assume it requires a constant internet connection to retrieve the data, nothing is stored on the laptop right)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Update:
    Never mind, it does indeed work as i would expect it to, i must have just been in an area with dodgy internet signal while on the train. (I assume it requires a constant internet connection to retrieve the data, nothing is stored on the laptop right)

@rs_saunders: Yep! I suspect you're right that that was the cause, but be sure to let us know if you encounter further issues. We'd like it to be functional without internet in the future as well, so we'll see how things go. :)

• Funny you mentioned this @rs_saunders as the exact same thing has gotten me in the past and confused the dickens out of me :)

I'd like to have a complete offline cache of your items stored locally so we could improve performance here and also protect us from spotty internet issues like you experienced. I'm not sure if that will make it into the 1.0 release but it will be a quick follow if it isn't.

Thanks for the feedback and for helping us put this alpha through it's paces! <3

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member

@brenty / @dteare : an offline cache I guess could be a blessing or a curse. Offline access of course but then you have data stored in another location so a little less secure. No rush for that feature, better to get it right. Maybe also it could be an option to enable/disable offline cache.

Possibly a simple spinner indicating something is happening would help with any confusion. Doesn't have to be big, maybe in the top right. Or animated " . . . " where they bounce up and down Mexican wave style.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

Hey @rs_saunders,

Offline cache is still in the design phase and isn't something that will be implemented until it can be done securely like our 1Password applications. In the meantime, I think we are all excited to watch the new interface progress throughout development. :)

• @rs_saunders: don't worry, we live and breath thinking about security. It is both a blessing and a curse :)

We have the perfect idea on how to make it incredibly secure. I can't tell you until I implement it as I need to use this excitement as fuel for its creation.

As for the spinner, I hear you but it doesn't end there. We'd need to show errors on timeouts and things like that. The offline cache will make for a much better user experience and keep the design clean.

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member

:+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

;)

This discussion has been closed.