after back up from time machine i lost the files from 1p. only at chrome extension is the full list

There is not files from other versions from time machine. And i have not synchronized with other devices at this time. only at chrome extension is the full list

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:after back up from time machine i lost the files from 1p. only at chrome extension is the full list

Comments

• cdaltas
    cdaltas
    Community Member

Any help?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cdaltas,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! Since you're using version 3 of 1Password on your Mac, I've moved your message to our 1Password for Mac 3 and 4 forum.

Can you please give us some more details about the problem? Are you missing some items from the main 1Password app on your Mac? You mentioned something about Time Machine - did you run into a problem with 1Password on your Mac and then tried to restore your 1Password data from Time Machine? Or did you restore a full Time Machine backup on a new Mac? If you can describe the exact issue you're experiencing, what you've done or are trying to do, the exact steps you're taking, what you expect to happen, what happens instead, and so on, we should have a much better idea of how to help. Thanks in advance! :)

• cdaltas
    cdaltas
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG ,

and thank you for immediate response.

I have downloaded and used the application for many years on my Macbook Pro but never encountered a problem like the following. After back up from time machine, when i try to log in the application, it says either "new data file" or "find existing" . I do not want to log in with another device as some passwords were saved not long ago and therefore will be lost through the time capsule.

Another issue I faced is that the passwords can be seen on the application's extention on Chrome, but i do not know if it is possible to recover them somehow from there and connect them with the application.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cdaltas,

Thank you for the additional details!

After back up from time machine, when i try to log in the application, it says either "new data file" or "find existing" .

I'm not quite sure I understand, because making a backup of your Mac with Time Machine won't delete data from your Mac - it simply makes a backup copy of that data on your Time Machine drive.

Do you perhaps mean that you restored something to your Mac from Time Machine? If so, what exactly did you restore? Were you having trouble with 1Password before restoring from the backup?

The reason you're seeing that message when you open 1Password is because it can't find your data file (your 1Password data is stored separately from the app). In 1Password 3, that data file was an 'Agile Keychain', and the default name of that file would be 1Password.agilekeychain. I don't know why it's missing, though. Were you syncing 1Password 3 with Dropbox? If so, look in your Dropbox folder for 1Password.agilekeychain.

If you weren't syncing it with Dropbox, the default location of that file would have been here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

If you can't find that file on your Mac, perhaps you can restore it from your Time Machine backup. Try opening Time Machine and going to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ (keep in mind that the ~ indicates your Mac user folder, which is in Macintosh HD/Users/[your Mac user folder]/). If you find that directory, does it have the 1Password.agilekeychain file?

• cdaltas
    cdaltas
    Community Member

hi @Drew_AG again,

Unfortunately, there is not what you told me to look for. The passwords can be seen on the application's extention on Chrome, but i do not know if it is possible to recover them somehow from there and connect them with the application.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cdaltas,

Sorry to hear you aren't able to find the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Time Machine! I was hoping you'd be able to find it there, as that would be a much easier way to restore your data.

However, it's definitely possible to export your data from the 1Password 3 extension in Chrome. You can do that by following the steps here: Export data from the 1Password 3 extension

Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.