1Password/Chrome will not auto fill

When attempting to auto fill (COMMAND + backslash) a login I get the following window:

Cannot Fill Item in Google Chrome

Google Chrome is connected but its code signature could not be verified. Filling and other features are disabled until this configuration issue is resolved.

This usually happens if Google Chrome is in the middle of an update. Please try to restart Google Chrome to fix this issue.

I read this article (which was suggested after providing a title here) but Chrome is up to date, and restarting Chrome or the computer did not help, that popup is still displayed if I try to auto fill a login. The article does say, however, to update to 1Password 6.7 or later to resolve the problem. Is this the only solution to the problem? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use 1Password 6.7 and therefore fix the problem, I would have to update my Mac to at least Yosemite, right?

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    edited June 2017

@ScarySulley,

This is correct, Google's code signature changed when they renewed their signing certificate a few months ago. The only options available are to either update to OS X 10.10 or newer and then update to 1Password 6.7 or newer. Or to go to the Advanced Tab in 1Password 4 and turn off code signature verification.

Rudy

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Hi @rudy,

Thank you for your response!

Or to go to the Advanced Tab in 1Password 4 and turn off code signature verification.

What is it that the code signature verification does? I realize that it's a security feature and obviously recommended to use. But does it ensure that the communication between 1Password the browser is secure or something? Just curious, thank you!

• @ScarySulley,

You're right that its a security feature and that the world is a better place with the setting turned on. It verifies that the browser that's connecting to 1Password is one of the browsers we know about. 1Password 4 is no longer receiving updates so short of updating your OS and running 1Password 6 that's unfortunately going to be your best bet at this time.

Rudy

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

@rudy,

Thank you for the follow up. Since the security feature seems to be associated with Auto Fill, is it still safe to simply copy/paste data from 1Password to a browser such as Chrome?

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ScarySulley

First, love that avatar image and the name! One of my favorite movies ever.

If by auto fill you mean all filling in general then yes, it's going to prevent the extension from receiving data from the app to fill. Basically mini is going to reject the connection because it can't confirm the browser that the extension lives in is properly signed.

We do this so that we can try to determine if the browser has been tampered with to some extent or at least make sure that the browser that we're connecting to is the one shipped by Google (or Safari or Firefox, or a small number of other browsers). It's not a fool proof solution but it is something at least.

I'm not sure there's a huge gain in either option you're considering. I would assume that if someone has the ability to read your clipboard they probably have the ability to swap your browser out with a malicious one. So long as you're downloading and updating your browser from official sites, and otherwise doing the safe thing with your browser you're probably better off just disabling the checkbox.

In an ideal world though you'd upgrade your computer if possible. I understand this isn't always possible though. However it's important to point out that Apple is no longer supporting macOS 10.9.5 (and earlier) and that means no security updates are coming from Apple. On that point I expect 10.10 to reach end of life this fall.

10.7 lost support in October of 2014
    10.8 lost support in September of 2015
    10.9 lost support in September of 2016

So if the trend continues 10.10 will be losing support this fall.

My usual advice in situations like this is that you may want to reconsider using computers stuck on old versions for anything that is potentially security sensitive. Banking, bill paying, accessing sites that are otherwise important, that type of thing. They make great general computing devices still but without security updates it's a little riskier. If you can update to 10.10 (or better yet 10.11 or 10.12) it would be best to do so. 1Password is very safe and we're not aware of any security issues with version 4, but there's little we can do to protect entirely against a compromised computer. The best way to make sure you avoid that is to keep up to date and practice safe computing practices.

I hope that helps a little bit and gives you some perspective on some options you have available to you. If you have questions please let me know.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Hi @AGKyle,

First, love that avatar image and the name! One of my favorite movies ever.

HAHA thanks! It's a great movie. Hoping for a Monsters Inc 3 to see how Boo has grown up. She'd be around mid-teens by now or so.

Thanks for the information. Good info to consider for reasons to upgrade the OS.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ScarySulley

Agreed! I'd love to see a sequel!

Happy to help though so if you have any questions in the future just reach out!

This discussion has been closed.