1Password doesn't appear in Spotlight Search

brandscill
brandscill
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Mac

Hi,

No matter what I try I can't get 1Password to appear in Spotlight search so I can launch it. Anyone got any ideas?

1Password Version: 6.7 (MAS)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.15
Sync Type: 1Password Personal

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brandscill,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! We've heard from a few other customers who reported this, and you might find some helpful information here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77526/spotlight-does-not-find-the-mac-app-when-i-search

As Brenty explained there, Spotlight indexing is a function of the OS and we don't have control over that, so there's not much we can do if it isn't working as expected. Rebooting your Mac might be all it takes to solve this, but if not, you might want to try rebuilding the Spotlight index by following these steps on Apple's support site: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

That's worked for others who ran into the same issue, so hopefully it works for you as well. Let us know how it goes! :)

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member

No joy! Little stuck on where to go next after much googling.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brandscill,

Just to be sure: You added 1Password.app to System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy, and then removed it from there? If so, is it possible 1Password is in a directory which you've excluded in your Spotlight settings? Are any of the categories on the Search Results tab unchecked?

If you haven't already done so, you might try simply rebooting your Mac, as I've seen that help some other customers with the same problem.

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

I added the Applications folder where 1Password resides as you can't add the .App itself. This made no difference sadly and no other folders are excluded. I've rebooted several times as well.

Guess it's time to reach out to Apple?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brandscill: Yeah that's really the only option. It just isn't possible for individual apps to force Spotlight to index them, as this is handled exclusively by the OS. :(

• HappyPappy
    HappyPappy
    Community Member

Rebuilding index seems to help for a while then 1Password disappears again. P.S. Same problem on both my iMac and MBP.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not aware of a mechanism that would sync something which could affect the index between Macs, but I suppose it's possible that you have a similar setup on each which could contribute. And I know when I used to use the Migration Assistant to setup my Macs similarly to each other I did end up with some weird issues. Sorry I don't have more insight into how Spotlight works under the hood. :(

• paulroever
    paulroever
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I'm having the same issue. I added Applications to the Privacy list, restarted, then removed it and still can't find 1Password in Spotlight. As far as I can tell no other apps are having this issue. Even the somewhat similarly-named 1Blocker shows up just fine.

This issue is happening on every computer in my family (5 in total).

Even searching Finder doesn't do the trick (see attached).

• @paulroever, @HappyPappy,

are you both using the Mac App Store version?

Rudy

• paulroever
    paulroever
    Community Member

@rudy yeah I am

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulroever -- That's what I was afraid of; the instances we're seeing of this appear to be only from users who have the Mac App Store version of 1Password. I am using the AgileBits version, for example, and 1Password shows up just fine in such a search, as do many other people's here. If the adding to privacy list, then removing tip earlier in this thread didn't work for you, I'm afraid there isn't anything further we can do for you, as this definitely appears to be a bug, but Spotlight isn't something we have much insight into, let alone control of. I know you were probably hoping for a better answer than that one, but that's unfortunately the only one I've got.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

For what it's worth, I just had the same problem: Spotlight "forgot" my normal copy (non-Chromium) of Google Chrome, and having Spotlight reindex my Applications folder got it back. So at least in my case it's clear it isn't limited to App Store apps. Weird.

• paulroever
    paulroever
    Community Member

@Lars I was able to fix it by deleting and reinstalling the App Store version, which was very easy to do.

• @paulrover,

Its certainly a weird bug with the Mac App Store, but I'm glad that reinstalling seems to have done the trick for you.

Rudy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Now that you mention it, that might be what fixed it for me too. I thought I may have accidentally deleted Chrome, so I installed a fresh copy (which I then noticed is called "Google Chrome", which explains why I couldn't find it under "C" in my Applications folder...) Still wasn't showing up in Spotlight at first so I reindexed, but it's possible that it just took a short while for Spotlight to find it again. :lol:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

I'm filing this one under "All's Well That Ends Well." :)

• NiklasNilsson
    NiklasNilsson
    Community Member

So this is happening on all our computers running Mac and 1Passwords at the office. As soon a new version is updated it is Removed from Spotlight. No other App Store Program have ever behaved like this so it must be something with 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NiklasNilsson - thanks for reporting. If you're willing to delete and re-install 1Password from the Mac App Store, you should be able to regain the Spotlight index.

• NiklasNilsson
    NiklasNilsson
    Community Member

Is deleting the software and reinstalling a permanent solution or will I have to do this every time you update the software?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NiklasNilsson -- we're not really sure. Some people report this happening with other software, others like you say it's only 1Password. This seems to be the definition of "intermittent," which is among the harder bugs to pin down, especially as it resides at the intersection of our app and the OS. What I'd suggest is that you keep an eye on it and let us know as you upgrade in the future if this occurs after having solved it previously, and if so under what circumstances: all? Only on certain Macs? Under a particular set of circumstances? I realize you were probably hoping for a "here's the answer/fix" type of reply, but I'm afraid we just don't have one on this particular issue currently.

This discussion has been closed.