Own version for both Mac and for iPhone (iOS). Now want to add 1Password to new iPad

diitto
diitto
Community Member

Hi, Do I need to buy a new version for my new iPad or can I use the same license I have for having purchased 1Password for the iPhone or was it just for iOS in general??? I have all the purchase info though it would take a few minutes to dig up. Just tell me what I am allowed to load on my new iPad based on what I already own???

I have 1Password for Mac, vers 6.7.1, purchased October 9, 2013 and I have a version 6.7.2 on my iPhone. What, if anything, am I allowed by license to install on my new iPad???

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    edited June 2017

@diitto,

Thanks for writing in with your question. To give you some context, the license is only applicable to the Mac version. It has no bearing on the iOS or Android versions of 1Password.

That said, 1Password for iOS is a free download and has an in app purchase for Pro features. If you previously made that purchase with your AppleID then you would install 1Password on your iPad in the same manner and via 1Password -> Settings -> Pro Features you would restore that purchase.

Something you might also consider in simplifying both the purchase of 1Password and synchronization of your data would be a 1Password.com membership. You can read more about the benefits on our sign-up page.

Rudy

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hmmm, When I look on my "Purchased" apps in iTunes, I see BOTH 1Password as an iOS app and 1Password Pro. BOTH show up under "purchased" but you say the 1Password app is free??? OK, whatever... And even though I bought it, it appears I am not currently using the 1Password Pro app even on my iPhone. Refresh my memory. What does 1Password Pro give me in addition to 1Password??? And do I somehow use the 1Password Pro to ADD some capability to 1Password or would I just use the 1Password Pro app stand alone in lieu of using 1Password??? Obviously, its' been a while. thanks

• @diitto,

1Password Pro is a really old version of 1Password. You'll very much want to avoid using that version since it will cease to function in iOS 11 this fall.

If the version you've got isn't the bottom most icon in: https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/chris/iOS_Versions.png you'll want to make sure you grab the latest version from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager-and-secure-wallet/id568903335?mt=8

Rudy

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Yes, I do have the most current version and the correct icon for 1Password on my phone, version 6.7.2. And you're saying the 1Password Pro should just be avoided. I own it but it's not on my iPhone and you're saying to leave it off my iPad too. But does the fact that I own 1Password 6.7.2 (and maybe you saying it was free???) bottom line is is it a version that will work on my new iPad Pro and am I allowed to install it?? Certainly yes if you're telling me it's free but can I, should I install it on my iPad Pro. Note also that it's been my choice to use 1Password extensively on my Mac, Less so but also on my phone and soon to be iPad if it works on such. But I've chosen NOT to use a 1Password.com account to sync all. Yes it has advantages but I have fears about using cloud type services for storing items like passwords. thanks... bob

• Hi Bob ( @ditto ),

Yes, I do have the most current version and the correct icon for 1Password on my phone, version 6.7.2.

Great. That is the one you want.

And you're saying the 1Password Pro should just be avoided. I own it but it's not on my iPhone and you're saying to leave it off my iPad too.

Correct. "1Password Pro" is version 3, which was retired in 2012.

But does the fact that I own 1Password 6.7.2 (and maybe you saying it was free???) bottom line is is it a version that will work on my new iPad Pro and am I allowed to install it??

That is also correct, yes. That is the version you want to install on your iPad Pro. You can find a link to it here:

http://j.mp/1PasCS

Yes it has advantages but I have fears about using cloud type services for storing items like passwords

The only way to automatically sync your 1Password data when home and away is through the use of a "cloud." The good news is that your passwords are never shared with these services, regardless of which you choose. Your data is always encrypted (protected by your Master Password, which only you know and is never transmitted) on your device before being stored with a cloud provider.

You can read about your sync options here:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Thanks Ben and all. Good, useful information. Much appreciated... bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.