Looking for suggestions on best way to share vault with child

opuntia2
opuntia2
Community Member

Hi, I have a pre-teen child (with their own iphone) that I want to set up with 1PW. However, at this point in their life I want the ability to see all their info. I've scrubbed the forums and it seems like I have to options:

1. Sign them on as a guest and give them access a specific vault. The con is that they don't have access to the shared vault, so will either have to copy/move items to this new vault.

2. Register them as a family member, but I'll need to be sure to set up their app/browser extension that all new items are saved to the shared folder and not their private folder.

So, I'm wondering if I'm missing another option and/or what have system have you setup with your kids.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @opuntia2

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I believe you've got the sum of the options available here. My personal recommendation (though I have not run into this situation myself) would be the latter option, as it'll be easier to give them access to their own Personal vault and any other additional vaults in the future when they are ready for that. Guests cannot currently be converted into family members, so with the former option the only way to do that would be to delete their guest account and then re-invite them as a family member.

With the latter option you can remove their Personal vault from the All Vaults view, and change their Vault for Saving to a vault that you have access to. This is done in the All Vaults preferences. Then the only way they'd be getting into/saving into their Personal vault is if they explicitly switched to that vault in the 1Password interface.

I suppose another thing you could do, which is not mutually exclusive with either of the options you outlined, is keep a copy of their Emergency Kit for yourself, so that you could log in as them. That way if they do manage to save something somewhere you didn't intend, you'll be able to login and see that.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@opuntia2 so you know, you'll have to go on AppleID.com and make your child's age 17 so you can download the app to thier iPhone.

@ben, trying to explain this idea, and I hope you get it. This person wants to see their child's vault. When I transferred from one family subscription to another, at one point I was signed into both accounts (old and new) at the same time on my MacBook and just moved the passwords over. That being said, couldn't a parent be signed into thier vault, and also thier child's vault also?

So the parent would have thier vault, then (in iOS) under settings > accounts > and under "add existing account" they add this child's vault?

• That being said, couldn't a parent be signed into thier vault, and also thier child's vault also?

Not really, no. You can only be signed in as one person within each family. It worked differently in the scenario you described because you had two different families set up and were signed into each.

So the parent would have thier vault, then (in iOS) under settings > accounts > and under "add existing account" they add this child's vault?

This will generate an error.

You can of course sign in as the child in a web browser and as yourself in the app(s).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.