How to Use 1Password on Any Computer?

Options
EBiesterveld
EBiesterveld
Community Member

How do i use 1Password if i am logging into a computer that is not mine? For instance using a work or hotel computer.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How to Use 1Password on Any Computer?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Best advice is NOT to use 1PW on a hotel computer. You never know if it has been compromised. Work would be a different matter.

But if you really need to, you need the current subscription version of 1PW, rather than the old stand-alone version.

Then you can log in to your account at 1password.com. You will need to know your secret key as well as your master password. You should keep your master password in your memory, but the key can be safely written down

Nowadays the hope (expectation?) is that you will have a phone on which you can keep 1PW. Then if you want to use a password on an actual computer, you can look it up o the phone and type it out on the computer.n

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EBiesterveld: I hate to agree with danco, even though he's awesome, because I know we're kind of dodging the question of "how to" a bit. But it's really not safe to access any sensitive information on a device under someone else's control, so I think it's really important to say that upfront.

So he's right that you can technically use the web interface if you have a 1Password.com membership, but that it's best not to do so in a setting where others have access to the machine. Accessing it on a mobile device that you own and control fully is a much more secure option, and pretty convenient as well. Cheers! :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

How about create 3-5 word passphrase for passwords that you need to use on hotel computer?
    Look up the passphrase on your phone when needed. Should be much easier to type relative to the typical multicharacter password, you still have a strong password and only that passphraze gets exposed to the hotel computer, not the whole 1PW account.
    It is a compromise, requires some typing, but better, in my opinion vs. all logins being exposed.

• Ben
    Options

That would be better than accessing 1Password on a hotel computer, but we really wouldn't recommend accessing any accounts on such a device.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.