How to Lock only one vault when I have 2 (or more)?

Options
dclewis55
dclewis55
Community Member

I have 2 vaults, "Primary" and one other. I use Primary alone most of the time, but occasionally I open the other.

Is it possible to lock the other while keeping Primary open?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How to Lock only one vault?

Comments

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dclewis55 - The locking feature is about locking the 1Password app entirely. You can't lock individual vaults, I'm afraid.

I'm interested to hear why you'd need to do that, though. Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I'd love to hear if there's something for us to learn here! :)

• dclewis55
    dclewis55
    Community Member
    Options

It's just a desire to open only the minimum, and close it when I'm done. I had thought unlocking was an action on the data, and was vault-specific, since they have different passwords.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dclweis55

Thank you very much for your input and for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password. The password for the vault that you set up first is what will unlock everything in 1Password. Being able to unlock two vaults separately is something that has been mentioned before and we for sure can consider adding it in the future :chuffed: Stay around to see all the awesome things that we bring to 1Password! :chuffed:

• hrprpic
    hrprpic
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar,
    any news of separately locking 2 vaults? I would like to keep my less important passwords (like the one for this forum) behind a much smaller master password, but things regarded my money (a bank account, credit cards, etc) behind a much complicated password. Any suggestions? What's the point of two vaults now?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hrprpic,

Thank you taking the time to ask us about this! I don't have any news for you though, as it still isn't possible to unlock only one vault while leaving others locked. Due to the underlying security architecture of vaults, that's not something that can currently be done. If our developers can find a way to do it without sacrificing security, I'm sure it's something they'll consider. We think all your data should be secure though, so even if vaults could be unlocked individually, it would still be a bad idea to protect any vault with a weak master password.

What's the point of two vaults now?

The point of having multiple vaults is to help with general organization. For example, many customers like to keep their work-related items separate from their personal items. Some like to create an "Archive" vault for items they think they no longer need but which they don't want to permanently delete. And many people have a vault that they share with a family member or co-worker (while keeping their own private data in their own private vault that no one else can access).

If you have more questions or need help with 1Password, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

The only way to do what the OP wants is to change the Primary vault priority. When the first vault becomes the second, the other master password takes precedence. Although there doesn't appear to be a simple way of altering the sequence?

What I have found is that I need to remove the both vault,s add in the second vault (Primary) and than do the same for the first? I am going from what I can remember here. As a Dropbox user.

Or else use the Vaults singly?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What hrprpic and the others here are asking about is the ability to unlock a single vault while leaving the others locked. That isn't currently possible in 1Password - regardless of which vault is Primary, unlocking the 1Password app will unlock all vaults. Changing which vault is Primary only changes which vault's master password is needed to unlock the app.

This discussion has been closed.