SSL error when signing in

Options
ckoehler
ckoehler
Community Member

I can access my Family page just fine, but not with the Mac app. I get a "An SSL error has occured and a secure connection to the server cannot be made." I suspect it's my work. What server does the app connect to, and do you enforce your own SSL cert, or are intercept certs okay?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @ckoehler! It does indeed sound like your workplace network may be interfering with things. Before we jump to that, though, try running an SSL tests on https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html. You can compare it to what we support. Let us know what you find. :)

• ckoehler
    ckoehler
    Community Member
    Options

Looking good. I can get to the site okay via my browser.

• Jacob
    edited May 2016
    Options

@ckoehler All righty, could you ask your IT department what they're doing on the network that may interfere with traffic? It sounds like something is breaking our strict SSL checks. Let us know what they say.

ref: OPM-4018

• ckoehler
    ckoehler
    Community Member
    Options

It's a proxy with SSL intercept. The website works correctly though, so I was wondering if the apps go to a different URL.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ckoehler,

That is interesting that it doesn't work in the app but you are still able to sign in to 1Password.com in your browser. I'm working on getting some more details so we can better test this. Thanks for hanging in there.

• Jacob
    Options

@ckoehler We'd like to investigate this a bit more so 1Password for Mac can give a better error in the future. Could you email us at support@1password.com with a link to this thread and a summary of your setup according to your IT department? Hopefully we can narrow down exactly what's stopping things here and give folks a more helpful error in the future. :) Once you send the email, post back here with the BitBot confirmation number you receive from us and we'll link the thread to the email. Thanks!

• ckoehler
    ckoehler
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the ID: #BTL-66854-678

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion.
    ref: BTL-66854-678

• ckoehler
    ckoehler
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed the error string when I try to login to Families now says, besides the "An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made." part: "Would you like to connect to the server anyway?"
    But my only option is "OK", which just aborts. Not sure if that label was there before, but I guess it's progress? :)

• dmds99
    dmds99
    Community Member
    Options

If the computer was provided by IT or supported by IT, IT probably modified it or the browser to blindly trust their fake certificates. My guess would be that the 1password app is too smart for that. If so, that's a good thing. I suppose the OK button could add the tricky certificate to its own trusted list -- but please only do that IF the user is strongly warned and alerted (and possibly confirmed twice) that someone is spying on them and able to steal their traffic.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ckoehler thanks for the update. I've passed it along, and I hope we'll be able to clear that up soon :)

ref: BTL-66854-678

• ckoehler
    ckoehler
    Community Member
    Options

@dmds99 Yes, of course. The only difference would be that the connection is not encrypted, while the data (the keychain itself) would still be encrypted. I agree with the warnings, of course.

• dmds99
    dmds99
    Community Member
    Options

@ckoehler It sounds like you have a handle on it. Also, yes, 1password has other layers of security that most sites don't and that is great.

I think many typical users aren't aware of what these proxies do. They may assume their work laptop is secure for Facebook, banking, etc. But if someone else set everything up, they should know it could also be set up to trust proxy-signed certs, or even to include screen capture software, keyloggers, whatever. :/

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dmds99 those are good points. Gotta love when "security" and "privacy" don't mesh so well ;)

@ckoehler it looks like in our email conversation we asked for more information about the setup. If you can give us that info -- via email -- we'll be able to get to the bottom of this and see what we can do :)

• ckoehler
    ckoehler
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott hm pretty sure I did. Let me send it again and we will go from there.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• kalmdown
    kalmdown
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem on a new Mac from my company. Zscaler is installed. Can that be causing the problem?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @kalmdown - Thanks for contacting us. That definitely could be the issue which might be interfering with the connection to our servers. Have you tried to disable Zscaler to see if this resolves the connection issue for you? Keep me posted and I'll do my best to help. :+1:

• kalmdown
    kalmdown
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot disable zscaler. Is there a diagnostic I can use to see if it is causing the issue?- K

• Frank
    Options

Hi @kalmdown - Thank you for the follow up. :+1: Can you try to whitelist 1Password which might help resolve the issue? I don't believe a Diagnostics Report will help in this case. Keep me posted and let me know if this helped and if you're able to connect. Sorry for any inconvenience and I look forward to hearing back from you. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.