Unlocking is really slow

northys
northys
Community Member

Hello,

I started with testing of brand new 1password chrome extension and I think it's really slow to unlock the vault. Does anyone else have this problem? I need to wait for approximately 15-20s before I can fill my password. My laptop is pretty good - Intel i5 + 8GB RAM - brand new Dell. I don't have this difficulty when using web interface - it unlocks and loads all passwords under 2 seconds.

Together all my vaults contain ~550 entries and the internet should not be the problem IMHO - tried on 2 different ISPs and one of them is University network (which is connected directly to backbone - under 1ms pings and 1/1Gbps).

Thank you for creating such a brilliant extension. Rivals can go to dig their own graves :D

1Password Version: none
Extension Version: 0.7.5
OS Version: Ubuntu 17.04
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @northys,

Welcome to the forum, I'm delighted to see you've joined our alpha crew!

I just timed my unlock, and it took 4.4 seconds so I agree 15-20 seconds seems unusually high.

What version of Chrome are you running?

I don't think this should make a difference, but have you completely quit Chrome and relaunched it since installing the extension?

In case you haven't noticed yet, we have an option on the settings page that allows you to change the Auto-Lock time to anything between 5-30 minutes, which may help a bit in the meantime.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• northys
    northys
    Community Member

Hey @beyer,

I'm running Chrome Version 59.0.3071.109 (Official Build) (64-bit). My laptop was rebooted many times since I've installed the extension.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@northys: Thanks, I'll send you a message shortly with how to collect some additional information while unlocking the extension, so we can review this further. Thanks for your assistance.

• Thanks for bringing up this important discussion, @northys. We certainly have a lot of work ahead of us to make performance better and that will be happening in future releases. With that said, a few thoughts came to mind while reading your original post.

First, comparing this extension to the web application is not as good as a comparison as it may seem. When opening the web app all we need to do is unlock 1Password and then download an overview for the dashboard. The decryption takes about a second and the network activity adds about a second, which gets you to your "under 2 seconds" timing you mentioned. We don't need to load all your items until you navigate to the Vaults page, and I'm going to guess it would take about 10 seconds to load and display the All Vaults view there.

When using this extension we need to do things differently. As soon as that unlock screen disappears we need to be ready to show all your items immediately and allow you to be able to interact with them. This means we need to load every item and decrypt it's overview before we can complete the unlock screen, and that's in addition to the unlocking process itself. This explains how the "unlock time" can quickly add up but we're not done just yet :)

The other part that makes things slower is we automatically any additional accounts we find during the unlock process. So for example, if you add your personal account and within it you have a login for your 1Password Teams account, we'll automatically add that as well.

So in sum we're doing a lot more during our unlock sequence and that's why it's so slow. In reality the actual decryption process takes about the same amount of time but we add a lot more things on after it completes which gives the appearance of slowness.

I have some plans on how to make this much faster but for now here's what I'm seeing:

• Over 3,100 items in my two main accounts
    • 24 secondary accounts (mostly test accounts, each with their own items that must be downloaded)
    • Running on a late model 2013 MacBook Pro
    • Total "unlock" time of about 21 seconds

When I add it all up and look at things scientifically I have to conclude that the 21 seconds "isn't that bad" since a lot of work is being done, but as a user I'm constantly complaining about how slow it is. Especially when I'm testing and need to lock and unlock regularly :)

Anyway, I hope that sheds some light on what's going on in the interim while we work on improving things.

Take care and thanks again for bringing this up.

• northys
    northys
    Community Member

hey @dteare, 1Password Web loads all vaults in 4 seconds + 2seconds login. I have only one account set in extension. Thanks for the explanation though. Will you need me to send you some debug info or not?

• Thanks for the update!

In theory the web app should have the same performance characteristics as the extension so it's strange that your experiencing a 3x slowdown. I wonder if you used the extension first and warmed up the cache thereby allowing the web app to run faster? That's just a guess though.

To verify this theory I added some performance metrics in 0.7.6 to log the unlock and data loading times. Here's how mine look:

--- Unlock & load item overviews Timings ---
    signed in to primary account took 5090ms
    loaded item overviews for primary account took 3401ms
    found 25 secondary accounts took 43ms
    signed into 5 secondary accounts took 14637ms
    loaded item overview for secondary accounts took 568ms
    Sum: 23739ms

So during that run I was at about 8.4 seconds for unlocking the primary account and loading its item overviews. I then logged into my primary account using the web app and it took about 7 seconds. I was curious why the web app was 17% faster so I reloaded the 1Password extension and unlocked it a second time and got these timings:

signed in to primary account took 3951ms
    loaded item overviews for primary account took 3578ms
    found 25 secondary accounts took 46ms
    signed into 5 secondary accounts took 12776ms
    loaded item overview for secondary accounts took 353ms
    Sum: 20705ms

That's about 7.5 seconds, which is comparable to the web app. I wonder if you perform a similar series of steps if you'll see the same thing? You can play this game by going to Window > Extensions, clicking reload on the 1Password extension, unlocking, and then clicking the background page link to inspect the background page that performs all the work related to unlocking. From there you can scroll down to the bottom of the Console and you should find your timings there. Post them here and we can compare.

Again I need to stress that I'm not saying this is fast. We have a lot of work to do to increase the real performance as well as the perceived performance of the extension. But it should at least be consistent with the web app :)

I look forward to seeing what you find!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Mine is slow unlocking too, but nothing I was too concerned about.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

For reference here are my timings for only one account with ~650 items:

signed in to primary account took 2896ms
    loaded item overviews for primary account took 1238ms
    signed into 0 secondary accounts took 1ms
    loaded item overview for secondary accounts took 0ms
    Sum: 4135ms

Roughly 4 seconds to unlock my personal 1Password.com account which is a lot faster than @dteare's 26 accouns. ;)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• pazustep
    pazustep
    Community Member

I'll add to the chorus. Unlocking the vault takes about ~8s. I have about ~400 items on a single vault. Laptop with a i5-7200U CPU, Chrome 59.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Interesting, thanks for adding to the chorus! We are very interested in collecting as much performance feedback as possible during this stage. I'm also looking forward to seeing numbers change as we tweak things throughout the development process.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

I have about 1100 items in my personal vault, and have 7 vaults in my family account, plus 5 vaults in a team account.

It takes nearly 20 seconds for the vault to open. Preeeetttttty slooooowwwww.

Thanks.

• Thank you for the extra data point, @berto!

• peterjaap
    peterjaap
    Community Member

28 vaults, total of 887 items, takes 9 seconds.

• 9 seconds for 28 vaults isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. :) Don't get me wrong: it is slow and I do have to fix this, but after Berto's report of ~20 seconds for less than half the number of vaults you have I'm pretty happy overall ;)

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@dteare I haven't found the 'reload' button in extensions :(

it takes around 12 seconds now and there are some errors in the console

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@northys: Thanks for sending this over! I've removed your link due to it containing some slightly personal information. However, I did notice the Chrome extension is finding 4 Login items that it is attempting to use to add 1Password accounts. This is taking approximately 4.5 seconds:

found 4 secondary accounts took 15ms
    signed into 0 secondary accounts took 4443ms

I recommend searching for any Login Items that contain *.1Password.com in a website field and either removing it completely or moving it to the notes field. Doing so should bring your unlock time down to about 8 seconds.

Let us know if that helps.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@beyer: hmm, which personal information? :silenced: I have replaced my email by heWhoMustNotBeNamed and did not find my password in it :pirate: I'm not that stupid - I'm also a programmer :chuffed:

Summary:

background.js:1 @getAccountStore 0ms
    background.js:1 --- Unlock & load item overviews Timings ---
    background.js:1     signed in t primary account took 4368ms
    background.js:1     loaded item overviews for primary account took 2577ms
    background.js:1     found 4 secondary accounts took 15ms
    background.js:1     signed into 0 secondary accounts took 4443ms
    background.js:1     loaded item overview for secondary accounts took 0ms
    background.js:1     finished organizing 1196 items took 2ms

Edit: I have removed everything called 1password in my vaults. But it still shows 4 secondary accounts.

This is weird imho, check data before you make useless request :sarcastic:

GET /api/v1/auth//2uetg4yba53qyuuornsry4pjzq/my
    background.js:1 Loaded 1586 bytes
    background.js:1 GET /api/v1/auth//randomKey/my
    background.js:1 Loaded 1480 bytes
    background.js:1 GET /api/v1/auth//randomKey/my

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@northys: Line 245 of your original link contained your first and last name, which is perfectly fine for you to post but we don't disclose the names of our customers. Additionally, your account UUID is printed in various spots which we don't leave publicly on our support forum.

All it well now, did you try looking for the 4 1Password account Login items and changing them to see how much time is saved?

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@beyer: is it possible to search websites in browser UI? I have no items called "1password" (deleted 3 of them but the extension is still trying to use 4 accounts) and I don't know why would I save 1password credentials to 1password :D I have only one account and had another one before a year or so - when you announced the beta for teams.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@northys: Unfortunately, you can't search by the website field using a web browser. When you moved those 3 items to the trash, did you empty the trash? If the items still exist in the trash, the browser extension will still attempt to use them.

As for having your credentials for your account stored on your account, there are a few reasons why this could be helpful. One example is now that you are using a browser extension, you can fill your Master Password quickly when accessing your account online. For users with multiple accounts, it can be useful to have a backup of their credentials stored on another account. Personally, I have 6 different accounts (not nearly as many as Dave with 26), but I've created a sperate vault that contains my Secret Key for each of them.

On new 1Password.com accounts, by default, we now create a Login item named "1Password Account" with a "Starter Kit" tag that contains the email address, password, and Secret Key of the account. This has been extremely beneficial to many of our newer 1Password users.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@beyer ok, I've removed 1200 items from trash because you have no option to remove a single item, good job :sarcastic:

can you please add some shortcuts for deleting items, toggling edit mode, selecting items and bulk deleting.

clicking like hell to remove some items drives me crazy. it's even faster to download cracked windows, install 1password, remove 100 items (spring cleanup) and push the changes to the cloud than to do it in the browser UI :unamused:

@getAccountStore 0ms
    background.js:1 --- Unlock & load item overviews Timings ---
    background.js:1     signed in to primary account took 4418ms
    background.js:1     loaded item overviews for primary account took 1329ms
    background.js:1     signed into 0 secondary accounts took 2ms
    background.js:1     loaded item overview for secondary accounts took 1ms
    background.js:1     finished organizing 366 items took 1ms
    background.js:1 Sum: 5751ms

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@northys: The good news is your unlock time has been cut in half!

We actually do have some keyboard shortcuts, but not one for everything on your list. I will certainly pass your feedback about the web interface on to our design team. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to show us your speed differences.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@beyer yes, it's fun to pay your product and test it at the same time :sarcastic:

ctrl-backspace made me happy. it's sad you can't use ctrl-n for a new item because Chrome won't allow it :angry:

why you've set 30 minutes limit to auto lock vaults? in the desktop client, it can be set to much more.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@northy: We picked a 30-minute limit as this time should be reset anytime the mouse or keyboard is used. I understand based on your other post that you may be experiencing with us detecting your activity, which I will look into. Thanks again for your feedback!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.