Future change in Firefox might affect 1Password

Options

Firefox v52.0.2 was released today and I received notice through another tech board I frequent. One of the members posted this comment:

**_Thanks, got it. I see it is a very minor update.

Just a heads up, a major change is planned for Firefox 57 due out in November. They are changing the add-on system and nearly all current Firefox add-ons will cease to work.

The current legacy system add-ons allows them to do virtually anything, they are switching to an almost identical add-on system to Chrome. On the plus side it will make porting add-ons between Chrome and Firefox much easier, but on the downside they are limited in what they can do.

Current add-on developers will have to rewrite their add-ons if they want them to work with the new system. It is anticipated that many will just abandon their old add-ons_**

Just a "heads-up"

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @BobArch2,

Thank you for sharing the news with us! :+1:

I am sure our extension team are aware of these upcoming changes, but I will make sure to pass your heads-up to them once again, so we could meet the challenge. :) If anyone is interested, here is the latest post about it in their blog:

The Road to Firefox 57 – Compatibility Milestones

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• jeremywsherman
    jeremywsherman
    Community Member
    Options

With the release to the Beta channel of Firefox 55, the 1Password extension is now labeled as "Legacy". (With the promise that this legacy will be wrested from Firefox 57 users by Mozilla and burnt in an aromatic pyre.)

This is making me antsy. Is there a statement somewhere about the plans to cut over to our brave new Web Extensions future for the Firefox extension soon?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @jeremywsherman,

If we are talking about the same thing here, I would recommend you to take a look at this thread . If it is totally off the mark, please let me know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.