To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I sign in on a new device if I do not have a secret key?

Options
rebecky
rebecky
Community Member

I have a standalone license rather than a subscription, so I do not have a secret key. The device on which I was using the app is broken, thus I need to sign in on a new device. I cannot figure out how to do this without a secret key. For a standalone license, is my information stored in my account, or only on the now-broken device?

In a similar question I found on this forum, the official support answered primarily with information about the advantages of a subscription. I do understand now the advantages, but my current concern is simply how do I get into my account. Do I need to purchase a subscription in order to access my account from a new device?

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: I
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

What sort of device were you using? iOS device, Android, or Mac or Windows computer? What can be done depends on that.

With a stand-alone licence, any backup of your data is up to. Assuming you were using a Mac, did you set up Dropbox or iCloud sync, or did you use Time Machine or any kind of clone or other backup?

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rebecky! Welcome to the forums :chuffed:

@danco is right - with a standalone licence, your data is stored locally on the one device where the app is installed. It would only be stored elsewhere if you had set up sync for your data, or if you had backups of the old device.

If you can recall any details of how you were set up on the old device, let us know! :+1:

• von_pw01
    von_pw01
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have the same exact problem. My phone is broken so i cant access it. Any data recorded or backed up would be in my laptop and it was stolen :(
    Can someone please help? Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @von_pw01,

I'm really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately if you were not using a 1Password membership and no longer have any of your devices we would have no way of assisting you with recovering your data. The only other possibility, as danco mentioned, would be if you had been syncing your 1Password data to either iCloud or Dropbox. If you were you can set that up on a new device:

Sync your 1Password data

Ben

• von_pw01
    von_pw01
    Community Member
    Options

:(

Thanks for the reply Ben!

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. To avoid such a situation in the future I'd highly recommend looking into 1Password membership! That way your data is securely stored with us (encrypted with keys that only you have).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.