Crashing when trying to add new items

Shubniggurat
Shubniggurat
Community Member

I'm using a Motorola Moto G4 Plus, with Android 7.0 (Nougat?), and 1Password v6.5.3. I have a family plan. Logging in to the app and syncing with the desktop is working fine, but I can't add any new information. Any time I try, I get a message that says, "1Password has stopped", with the options of either closing, or sending feedback.

If I go into Settings -> Security -> Automatically Lock and set it to "never", and also set it to lock on exit, then it works correctly. Since my password is quite long, that's super-inconvenient when I need to enter passwords, PINs, and answer security questions on the same website. Is this a known bug, and, if so, if here a timeline for a fix? (The thread that I saw the workaround in was from 2015.) Is there any way to keep the app working without setting the auto lock to never and locking on exit? (I don't want it to stay unlocked forever because that's very insecure if I lose physical control of my phone.)

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Shubniggurat. Thanks for reporting this! I believe I found the crash report you sent, but I'd like to get a few more details, as we're not able to reproduce this on our end.

You mentioned that this crash occurs when you add new information. Can you please give me step by step instructions to reproduce the issue? For instance, is this when creating a new Login item (or another type of item)? Does the crash occur when you tap the plus sign button to create an item, or after you've created the item and when you tap the Save button? Or perhaps you're able to create and save the item but the crash occurs when 1Password tries to sync? Or is the crash occurring when editing an existing item?

As much detail as you can provide about the steps you're taking will be greatly appreciated and help us diagnose the issue. Thanks!

• Shubniggurat
    Shubniggurat
    Community Member

First - the work-around was working yesterday, and didn't work this morning. I have not tried re-booting to see if it would work again.

Second - the crash occurs after I select the blue +, and immediately after selecting what kind entry I want (bank account, login, etc.). It doesn't immediately crash with everything though; an immediate crash happens when I select bank account, credit card, database, email account, login, membership, password, rewards program, server, social security number, or wireless router. The other categories (secure note, for instance) at least open, and I can definitely save secure notes.

I can edit items, like logins, without problem.

Is there any more information that would be useful?

• Thanks @Shubniggurat! This information is quite helpful, but I'm still not able to replicate the crash.

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: url
    • Your forum username: username

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Shubniggurat
    Shubniggurat
    Community Member

I got an auto-reply, but there didn't seem to be a support ID number on it. :/ I'll wait a bit longer, see if it shows up, then try again.

• fourstix
    fourstix
    Community Member

Hello,
    I'm having the same issue on my Alcatel One Touch Android phone with the 1Password app. It closes / crashes every time I try to add a new item. I can add an item to my vault through the website, and then synch and it will appear. I believe it worked fine until the last update.

• fourstix
    fourstix
    Community Member

Hello,

Here are the exact steps to reproduce it on my phone, and system information about my phone:

System: Alcatel One Touch Model 5017B
    Security Patch Level: 2015-12-01

Kernel Version 3.10.49-g21e0739
    android-bld@Perso185#1
    Tue Dec 1 04:52:46 CST 2015
    Build number: Android L

Storage 4.56GB / 8.00GB Available 712MB

1) Open 1Password app
    2) Enter master password. The app animation shows the green decrypt graphic and then goes to the category view.
    3) In the categories view, press on the plus sign at the bottom. The category list comes up.
    4) Select a category (All categories seem to fail.)
    Bang, app closes.

Like the other user, I can view, edit and save existing items. It just closes when I try to add a new one.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help.
    Gaston

• fourstix
    fourstix
    Community Member

Hello,

I sent in a diagnostics report from my phone. I also did some more testing. I went through the scenario above repeatedly and tried to add an item from each category.

I found that I can add new items from the following five categories: Identity, Outdoor License, Passport, Secure Note, Software License.

But choosing any other category to add, such as Login, Password, etc. will fail.

I hope this is helpful.
    Gaston

• peri
    edited July 2017

Thanks for reporting this, and for the detailed steps, @fourstix. Our developers were able to find the cause of the crash and are working to get it fixed. We should have a fix for you soon, so keep an eye out for updates.

@fourstix, @Shubniggurat, and anyone else who comes across this thread, please tap Settings > Display, and check Conceal Passwords. That should stop the crash from happening in the meantime.

• fourstix
    fourstix
    Community Member

You're welcome. @peri Thanks for responding so quickly with a work-around. I really appreciate it. By the way, I'm retired from over 30 years in Software Dev/Test, so I really enjoyed being useful again. :-)

• I'm glad that worked for you, @fourstix! And we always love help testing. If you're feeling adventurous, you might want to join the beta channel. We always appreciate the help in testing! <3

• eschoud2
    eschoud2
    Community Member

Any update on this? I am experiencing the same issue. As recommended, concealing passwords seems to fix the issue for now. Running 1Password 6.5.3 on Android 7.0, Samsung Galaxy S8

Thanks - love the product!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have anything new to share since the weekend, but we're working on it. Glad to hear the workaround of concealing your passwords helps in the mean time. :)

This discussion has been closed.