Reinstall 1Password on Android Device

OSUHAND
OSUHAND
Community Member

I've been using 1Password trial on my Android device for about 6 months. About a month ago I purchased the Pro Features through the Google Play Store ($9.99) and was then able to add additional Logins to my Local Vault that I had been using. This week I had to Factory Reset my Android device and reinstall 1Password. Now, when I open 1Password it only gives me the following options:

New to 1Password?
Start My Trial

Already using 1Password?
1Password.com
Dropbox
WLAN server
Local storage

Unfortunately, I did not have a backup of my old 1P local vault so now I'm going to need to start over again. So, how do I create a new Local Vault that is NOT in trial mode?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @OSUHAND. Thanks for contacting us today!

Just to clarify, did you sync with Dropbox, WLAN, or local storage prior to resetting the device? If not, we'll need to create a vault on another device in order to sync, or sign up for a 1Password.com account, as we're no longer creating Agile Keychain vaults from Android.

I recommend signing up for a 1Password.com account, as your data will automatically be backed up and synced to any new device, so you don't have to worry about losing your data again.

Otherwise, we'll need to create a local vault using another device and sync it to Android. In that case, can you let me know if you have access to another device? Thanks!

• OSUHAND
    OSUHAND
    Community Member

No, the only "Sync" that I had prior to resetting my Android phone was on the phone itself (on the Internal Storage). I only used 1Password for a dozen or so passwords for sites that I access from my phone so the loss of the old Vault (and passwords) is not a problem, I just want to recreate the Vault on my reset Android device and then I can recreate the passwords I had before. I thought I had "sync'd" the Vault to my External Storage (SD card) on my phone but I can't seem to locate it now. In the future, I will manually backup the vault so that I can recover from any future phone reset or new device that I purchase.

• OSUHAND
    OSUHAND
    Community Member

I only want to use 1Password from my Android phone. So, no, I do not have another device.

• Thanks for the update, @OSUHAND. It's no longer possible to create local vaults from Android, so you'll need to either sign up for an account, or use another device (Mac, Windows, or iOS) to create a vault and sync with Android. Are you able to borrow a computer from a trusted friend or otherwise get access to another device so we can create a vault?

• TheRealFixxxer
    TheRealFixxxer
    Community Member

How are you able to create a new vault? I have the exact same issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheRealFixxxer: As Peri mentioned earlier, it isn't possible to create a new vault in 1Password for Android. If you have a 1Password.com membership, you can create vaults in through the website; and if you're using the standalone 1Password apps and syncing data yourself, you can create the vault on a computer and sync that over to 1Password for Android. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TheRealFixxxer
    TheRealFixxxer
    Community Member

@brenty Ok so here's another question; I have purchased the standalone app through the Google Play Store and I am unable to access the locally stored vault that was on my previous device. On my new device I've installed 1Password but it is trial mode (as it is an in app purchase to get the pro version, that is not recognized on the Google Play Store); how would I go about being able to use the paid version that I have previously bought on my new device?

• Hi @TheRealFixxxer. If you would like to unlock the Pro features on your Android device, you will need to install 1Password from the Play Store with the correct Google account selected. First, please uninstall 1Password and remember uninstalling means your 1Password data will be deleted from your device. Make sure you have successfully synced your data before uninstalling.

Next, launch the Play Store and bring up the navigation drawer by sliding your finger from the left corner of the screen. You should see your account listed on the top, tap on it to change it to the correct account. Search for 1Password and then install it. Let me know if you are able to unlock the Pro features now.

That said, the Pro features will only unlock if you have a local vault on the device. If you're using a 1Password.com account, it will require a subscription and the Pro features won't be available. In that case, you'll need to make sure to sync with your local vault on this device as well. If it's stored locally on another device, manually copy it to Dropbox or to this device's local storage in order to sync.

Let me know how that goes!

• TheRealFixxxer
    TheRealFixxxer
    Community Member

@peri The local vault on my previous device is no longer accessible and I do not have an account. I only have one Google account and I am not subscribed to 1Password, I just purchased the pro version in app.

Once installed as mentioned in your previous I only have the option to start a trail or retrieve my vault (again, I no longer have access to this) and via 1Password.com, Dropbox, WLAN server or local storage (again, none of these will work as I no longer have access to my locally stored vault that was on my old device).

Am I no longer able to access my pro version by simply downloading the app from Google play because my local vault no longer exists?

• @TheRealFixxxer You can access the Pro features, but you won't be able to create a local vault from Android. Instead, you'll need to create a new vault from another device and sync it with your Android. Do you have access to a Mac, PC, or iOS device?

• TheRealFixxxer
    TheRealFixxxer
    Community Member

@peri of course, I have access to my PC.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheRealFixxxer: Great! Do you already have a 1Password vault on your PC? If so, you can sync that existing vault over via Dropbox. Otherwise, create a new one when you setup 1Password for Windows (or you can do so from the File menu at any time), and then sync that to 1Password for Android instead.

Am I no longer able to access my pro version by simply downloading the app from Google play because my local vault no longer exists?

But just to clarify, we don't have your data; so if you've disposed of it along with your old phone you'll need to start over with a new vault as mentioned above. The Pro upgrade of 1Password does not include your data; this is stored only on your device unless you sync it elsewhere.

• TheRealFixxxer
    TheRealFixxxer
    Community Member

@brenty so I would need to purchase a copy of 1Password for Windows if I am to create a new vault to sync with my Android device?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheRealFixxxer: Based on your earlier comments, I was under the impression that you had already been using 1Password for Windows. I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Nevertheless, you can create a vault on your PC and sync it to your Android device. 1Password.com will be a much better option for you since you'll be able to use 1Password everywhere without worrying about any of this, but either way shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID here so we can help you get things setup. :)

• TheRealFixxxer
    TheRealFixxxer
    Community Member

@brenty help setting up what? A 1Password.com account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheRealFixxxer: A 1Password.com membership will make things much easier for you, since there's no sync setup; but, like I said, either way we're here to help. :)

• OSUHAND
    OSUHAND
    Community Member

I thought I'd be out of the weeds by creating the 1Password.com account but that was only a trial that is now EXPIRED. I would like to return my Android device and the 1Password operation (i.e. Pro features with local vault) prior to my Factory Reset of my phone. I understood your previous comment that a local vault on the Android phone is no longer a possibility and I must "sync" it with another device. However, in the past I was NOT using a Desktop version of 1Password on a PC. How do I go about getting a local vault synced back to my Android phone? I DO NOT want my passwords stored in the CLOUD, I only want the passwords/vault on my personal devices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@OSUHAND: As mentioned above, you could create a local vault on the computer and then copy it over to your Android device. Or sync your original vault, since you said you were using 1Password for Android previously.

But it's important to note that 1Password never stores your passwords (or ours, we don't want that either) in the cloud, only encrypted data. Everything is encrypted locally using your Master Password before being transmitted, and only you ever have that to decrypt it with. So 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. And since this applies to 1Password.com as well but it also has the randomly generated, 128-bit Secret Key to encrypt the data, it's even more secure than a local vault.

• OSUHAND
    OSUHAND
    Community Member

Here's how I "recovered" 1Password to my Android phone that had been Factory Reset.
    (a) From a PC, download the 1Password for Windows application. Ref. 1Password v4
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67374/how-to-have-windows-ios-offline-wlan-syncd-vaults-only-confused-by-new-1password-com-accounts
    https://agilebits.com/downloads
    Ref. "1Password-4.6.2.624.exe"
    (b) Install 1Password on a Windows PC. Ref. 1Password v4.6.2.624
    (c) Create a new vault in the Windows version.
    Ref. \Libraries\Documents\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain\ will be created.
    (d) Manually (re)create the Logins in the 1Password for Windows. NOTE: I only had 7 password/logins that I needed. 20 appears to be the maximum you can create in the DEMO mode of the 1Password for Windows version 4.
    (e) Zip the contents of the 1Password vault (folder) from the PC.
    \Libraries\Documents\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain.zip
    (f) Upload the ZIP file to Google Drive.
    (g) Download the ZIP file from Google Drive to the Android phone.
    (h) Unzip the ZIP file to the location below on the phone and then DELETE the ZIP file on Google Drive.
    Local\Internal Storage\Document\
    You'll then have a folder and contents as shown below.
    Local\Internal Storage\Document\1Password.agilekeychain\
    (i) Uninstall any existing copy of 1Password v6 from the Android phone that may have been syncing to the 1Password.com account (i.e. "Cloud"). You may have tried the 1Password.com method like I did and then found out that it EXPIRES and your account is then "Frozen".
    (j) Re-install 1Password from the Google Play store.
    (k) Open the 1Password App.
    (l) At the initial screen in 1Password, scroll down and select "Local storage" under the heading "Already using 1Password?".
    (m) When prompted, click the ALLOW button to allow 1Password to access you files.
    (n) At the "Select vault" screen, browse to the "1Password.agilekeychain" folder that you created earlier.
    Local\Internal Storage\Document\1Password.agilekeychain\
    (o) At the "Local storage" screen, click the USE THIS VAULT button.
    (p) Enter the Master Password for the vault and then click the Start Sync button.
    (q) DONE! You should then be at the "Categories" screen inside the 1Password App. Click the "All items" or "Logins" option to view/change any of your existing Passwords or create new ones!
    (r) From the 1Password App, click the menu Options (3 horizontal bars, a.k.a. hamburger icon) in the upper left-hand corner and then select Settings.
    (s) At the Settings screen, select Security.
    (t) Enable Fingerprint Unlock and then click your fingerprint reader to confirm the change.

NOTE: When I select Options > Settings > Pro features it states that the "Pro features are unlocked". This agrees with the fact that I bought the Pro features with my previous version of 1Password for Android prior to my Factory Reset of my Android device. I'm not sure how it knows this since I haven't entered any license keys or logged into my 1Password.com account at this point.

• peri
    edited July 2017

Thanks for the detailed steps, @OSUHAND. I'm glad you were able to recover your old standalone vault and set up local storage syncing on your device after resetting. :) Hopefully others will find this helpful as well.

As to the Pro features, they're linked to your Google account, so as long as you're using a standalone vault (rather than a 1Password membership), they'll be unlocked as long as you're using 1Password 6 on an Android device.

Let us know if you need anything else!`

This discussion has been closed.