Importing 1pif file does not work

denisdp
denisdp
Community Member

Hi,

I have generated a 1pif file from 1password for windows 7. I have sent this 1pif file to my phone via e-mail and I am trying to import it into my iOS version of 1Password. I pick the correct vault, I get a message saying the file was imported successfully but then the element I just imported does not appear anywhere in my vault. Am I missing anything there?

Note: I know this is a highly insecure way of sharing passwords across devices but since you show no will at all in restoring a fully functional wifi sync across platforms, this is what I have to do in order to sync my passwords...(Oh and no, I do not want your subscription-based version)

1Password Version: 6.5.4(654001) & 6.6(660015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.2 (14F5089a)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@denisdp: Just to clarify, there are a number of sync options available to you, and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted in these cases, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. It's your data, but I just don't see the benefit of sending it in plaintext. There's an app for that.

With regard to the import issue, do you perhaps already have the same item in 1Password for iOS? Also, you mentioned the 1Password for iOS and Mac(?) versions you're using, but would help to know the 1Password version you're exporting from. Frankly, I think no matter the outcome, some additional feedback from 1Password would be helpful here. Let me know what you find!

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member

1/ At home, I have a mac which syncs perfectly fine with my iOS version over iCloud. But at work, we use Windows 7 and my organization decided to block the use of dropbox. This means that I can use neither iCloud, nor dropbox to sync my data. Wifi sync on Windows 7 is a joke of an experience. I have spent a lot of time with your people here trying to make it work but I always run into issues ranging from not syncing attachments or deleting all my data. So it simply does not work. Result is, I either have to create new logins manually on all my devices, or use 1pif files.
    ==> As I mentionned, I would rather not have to send data in plaintext. But at some point, wifi sync got broken on 1password 4 and this was my only way to sync data securely. In my case, there's no app for that.

2/ No, it was a totally new item. I am exporting from 4.6.1.617

• Hi @denisdp

If you try to import this file into your Mac, does it import there?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member

I will have to try when I get home tonight. Will keep you posted.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, we look forward to hearing how it goes! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@denisdp: Thanks for getting back to me. That makes perfect sense. I'm really sorry to hear that so many things have sort of come together to make it difficult for you to sync your data, securely or otherwise.

I'm going to throw this out there but I'm not sure it applies in your case. Just based on my own experience and what little I know of your setup, I wonder if the trouble you've experienced with using WLAN Server is due to trying to involve multiple computers or vaults. If so, let me know, as we may have hope for you there yet. WLAN Server isn't sexy, and it depends heavily on your network environment, but a lot of people use it even today. So while 1Password.com would ultimately save you a lot of headache in this regard (and offer other benefits as well), if WLAN Server is something you'd like to pursue, I'm happy to help. :)

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

I've been trying to get an 1pif file from my Mac version to import on my iPhone. I've transferred the 1pif via iTunes, AirDrop and email successfully but when I start the import process within 1password (Pro enabled 6.7.2 app) it just stops at about 5-10% around the progress ring. Replicated many times. Left for over an hour and no change.

Have to force quit the app. When I check the new vault it only shows between 40-60 items out of the 700 in the 1pif. Note that it is a different number after each attempt.

Any thoughts?

• rudy
    edited July 2017

@zx9r,

This sounds like a scenario where we'd want to get a diagnostics report from you to investigate where its going sideways.

if resetting the state of 1P via settings -> advanced -> erase all data is an option for you (it sounds like you've started over a couple times in trying to get to the bottom of this) then that's probably the best first step so that we're in a fresh state.

Next attempt the import and immediately after relaunching the app navigate to settings -> advanced -> diagnostics -> send diagnostics

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.