TOTP, Coinbase, 1Password.com

This discussion was created from comments split from: Auto-Fill One Time Password?.

Comments

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member

Checking out Google Authenticator in iOS app store doesn't look good.
    If you change devices you lose everything.
    There is no support.
    So I'm looking for alternatives since Authy is now a higher risk app.
    UGH.

• @MikeMcD,

1Password 6.8 will be the first release that puts the TOTP code onto the clipboard when a successful fill occurs. We've found that absent a way to reliably fill TOTP using the browser extension that putting that code onto the clipboard is an ok workaround until a better filling solution is divined.

Rudy

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Thanks Rudy,
    2 questions.
    1. Should I wait for 6.8 (now 6.7.2) for iOS and use Authy for now?
    2. Is there a FAQ or video of how to set up authentication with 1Password for iOS and Coinbase? The only instruction I found was for OS X and Dropbox (https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/)

also, is 1Password Pro for iOS required for coinbase authentication or will free work?

• @MikeMcD,

6.8 is reaching the end of its beta cycle, running the beta is certainly an option but if you'd like to wait for the release version it shouldn't be too much longer.

I'm not too sure about how to setup with coinbase, do they generate a QR code or URL to encompass the TOTP code they use for their 2 factor authentication? if they do then you can follow similar steps to the dropbox instructional with respect to how you enter it into 1Password itself.

Rudy

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member

also, is 1Password Pro for iOS required for coinbase authentication or will free work?
    Been using desktop for a while and just started using iOS version but only the free version.
    Don't mind buying Pro, especially if works to authenticate Coinbase.

• rudy
    edited July 2017

@MikeMcD,

Yup, the Pro Features unlock the ability to use TOTP codes in the iOS version see: https://support.1password.com/pro-features/

You would follow similar instructions to what's on https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2684672 but replace Google Authenticator with 1Password. You would create an item or edit an existing one and tap the button that says "add one time password" down in the lower parts of the item details. There should be an icon that look like a QR code at that point which you can tap and it will put the phone into a mode where you can scan the QR code from the coinbase security settings page.

Let us know if you run into any trouble.

Rudy

ref: QRE-63483-388

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member

I set up an account on 1Password.com ... this is a paid for service?
    Very confusing...

• rudy
    edited July 2017

@MikeMcD,

1Password.com is indeed a paid service, the other option is the in app purchase for pro features.

If you want to read about 1Password.com we have a detailed page that talks about it at https://support.1password.com/why-account/

Rudy

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member

I did the iOS pro... but that doesn't give me access to a .com account?
    again confusing... thanks.

• MikeMcD,

No, that is strictly what is listed on https://support.1password.com/pro-features/

Rudy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeMcD: If you'd rather go with a 1Password.com membership to get all of the apps, the web interface, and great stuff like automatic offsite backup and item history for your data, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your receipt(s) and post the Support ID you receive here so we can help you make that transition. Otherwise if you've got everything you need already you should be all set. Cheers! :)

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member

Thank you both for the explantions.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're most welcome, @MikeMcD, on behalf of Rudy and brenty. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

I did sign up for 1password.com but now my OSX desktop app has duplicates of everything. (my iOS app does not have duplicates)

Should I just cancel my .com account (won't be using it) or ________?
    Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeMcD: It sounds like you just have multiple vaults with the same data. If you migrated your data to your 1Password.com account on your iOS device and removed the original vault there, that would explain why you have both your original local vault (Primary) in 1Password for Mac along with the Personal/Private vault in your new account, both with roughly the same data.

If you don't want to use the 1Password.com account, you can remove it from your devices (Preferences/Settings > Accounts) and delete the account itself from the bottom of your Profile page on 1Password.com. Then you can use the setup you had before. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Thank you. Signing out of the account removed the duplicates!
    Happy now.
    :)

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member

Signed out of account. Duplicates gone.
    Thank you.
    Happy now.
    :)

• @MikeMcD,

Good to hear, let us know if you need anything else.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.