Searching for logins not finding correct match [Search is not limited to titles only]

two7offsuit
two7offsuit
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi there,

A couple of issues.

Firstly, when searching for a login in the main application (whether Windows or Mac), it seems that it will only guess the correct one after the 3rd character is entered. Example, searching for Facebook, if I type Fa i would assume the first match (or matches) it would put at the top would be any logins starting with those two letters. But instead it shows up all logins where those combinations appear in any fields. Entering the 3rd character does indeed then result in the correct match. Is there a way to tweak this so that it at least shows logins that begin with the characters being entered, regardless of if only 1, 2 or 3 characters are typed?

Secondly, on the iPhone when using the Safari 1Password extension, if I get to a page that I need to bring up my login details, I can't actually search for any logins with the extension. It will only return credit card entries (and the login if it has found a match to the site I'm on). Is there a way to search for logins in the Safari extension on iPhone?

1Password Version: Windows 6.6 and latest Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 and Mac Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @two7offsuit,

Thanks for writing in.

That is intentional, it is not a title-only search and so it will return anything that matches what you type.

In 1Password 6.7 for Windows, you can add title: to the search field to limit it to titles but that's longer than 3 characters if you always find what you want with just three characters.

We will continue to improve the search feature in 1Password over time, it would be nice to limit it to titles first and expand to everything if nothing was found.

As for the 1Password extension on iOS, that is not yet possible. The 1Password extension can only return items that it can use on the site you're on. We are looking into allowing you to search for other items in a future update but no ETA for that. ref: OPI-4069

• two7offsuit
    two7offsuit
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT,

I agree with your first point. Would be great to get the title as priority because I'd imagine (for me anyway) when searching, I'm almost always searching for a login and know the exact title.

Look forward to upcoming updates and great work on the Windows version. So much better and almost as good as the Mac (almost).

• You're welcome.

Look forward to upcoming updates and great work on the Windows version. So much better and almost as good as the Mac (almost).

That's awesome to hear, thanks for that. It definitely is a big leap forward compared to its first release from last October. I can't imagine what it'll be like for its first birthday.

• sammularczyk
    sammularczyk
    Community Member

I 100% agree with this suggestion. It's really frustrating searching for my main Google login, for which the title is my email address, then having to scroll ages down the list because every site I've ever signed up to using that email address shows up.

The way the search in the Mac version works is way better, I think. Even if it showed "best matches" up the top, then showed the rest of the list, that'd be much better. Title should definitely be the priority.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Agreed. We definitely want to continue to refine search so it's closer to the mature Mac app. And we're actually testing some enhancements in beta already that will surpass that in some ways. Thanks for your feedback on this, and keep an eye out for updates! :)

This discussion has been closed.