To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Outlook concerning feature parity between Mac and iOS/Windows when handling items with attachments

Options
Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member

Hi AB,
one major roadblock that's keeping me from using 1Password.com instead of the "classic" Dropbox type of vault is the handling of items with attachments when using iOS and Windows. As far as I know those limitations are not valid for the Mac version.

Here's a list of my pain points:
1. Items with attachments that are copied/moved from a "classic" vault to a 1Password.com vault on iOS lose the reference between each other. The problem is you can't fix that because only the Mac app has an option to link items to existing attachments/Documents
2. I couldn't test (1.) on Windows, because as far as I can see there's no way to selectively import items.
3. Even if you copy/move items with attachements between 1Password.com vaults on iOS/Windows, the reference is lost.
4. It is possible to delete an attachment (or better Document) without also deleting the related item (let's say a safe note). This could lead to some unpleasant surprises
5. Clicking on the "Imported Attachment" in the "Related Items" section in 1Password for Windows (6.7.442d) does nothing. You can click as long as you want and nothing happens. You have to go to the Documents view and look for the attachment yourself.
6. You have to manually download attachments when you want to access them offline

And here are my suggestions to fix those shortcomings:
1.-3. and 5.: Implement the same way of attachment handling on iOS/Windows as we currently have on Mac. Items and Documents should be referenced correctly and tied together so whatever you do to one of them, you do to the other (move, copy, delete, rename, etc.). Especially the option to link existing items would be needed.
4.: There should be a prompt that says "Hey there are existing references to this item. Are you sure you want to delete that?" (not necessarily in those words of course ;) )
6.: This could be achieved and combined with Travel Mode, i.e. when you have a vault that's safe for travel, you can copy the items you need into that and when you enable Travel Mode, 1Password should download all items in that vault to your device until you disable Travel Mode again.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Manaburner - Thank you so much for the constructive feedback. You're completely right on the points you made. When you migrate the data from your Primary vault over to a new 1Password.com vault, the attachments are added to the new Documents category. If they were linked to items, this will not carry over during the migration. You do have the ability to re-link the documents after the migration using 1Password for Mac. This is not possible to do using 1Password on Windows at the moment but we're working on it and it's on our roadmap to add this functionality.

You're right, documents have to be downloaded in order to be viewed which is not the best use case especially if you don't have internet connection while on the road. I really do appreciate the feedback especially the Travel Mode suggestion. I like that a lot. I'll make sure to add this request and share this with the team, I think that's a great idea. :+1: Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and use case with us :smile:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Frank
    it's good to hear that relinking comes to Windows too (and maybe iOS?). I still have some days on my trial, so we'll see where we're at when this runs out :)

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Manaburner - Sounds like a plan and keep us posted if you have any additional questions or suggestions. We're always happy to listen and help :+1: Enjoy the rest of your day!

This discussion has been closed.