Feature request: iterm and terminal support as a browser type

Options
wlindsey
wlindsey
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

Can we get official support of an extension like this?

https://github.com/ravenac95/sudolikeaboss

I cannot use it because the security implications of disabling browser signatures, otherwise it is a perfect tool. I work in a strict sudo environment and workarounds like 1pass are not available on the remote servers I am using.

https://github.com/oggy/1pass

Thanks!

1Password Version:630031 mac app
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version:10.11.5
_Sync Type:icloud

Comments

• Hi @wlindsey,

It'd be really cool to have something like sudolikeaboss but officially supported. We've had a few discussions internally, and we have some additional security concerns beyond just codesignature validation that we need to think through. I would personally love a solution like that that worked for more than just iTerm (I'm still a Terminal.app user myself).

Thanks for letting us know that you'd be interested in seeing this kind of feature.

Rick

• kguay12
    kguay12
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion,

I have been using sudolikeaboss with 1Password as a key part of my workflow. The latest update of 1Password for Mac (today) seems to have broken sudolikeaboss. Was this done intentionally? I am using version 6.3 (630031).

Have you had the same issue @wlindsey?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• @kguay12 it was not done intentionally and this is the first I hear of it. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that we've changed that would have broken it, but it's possible that small changes in how our app talks to the browser extension could break sudolikeaboss.

Rick

• dau
    dau
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. How can I downgrade to 6.2.1?

• Hi @dau,

Rather than revert to an earlier version, it's probably best to check on an update to sudolikeaboss - there is an issue open on their repo and some active discussion there. I'd recommend checking in there for an update.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• dau
    dau
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_kevin Not very helpful... I checked for an update to sudolikeaboss, but there isn't a fix. From the thread, it appears that something changed in the way 1Password handles the web sockets. I'm really sad/angry about this since it took a great piece of software and made it crap. I'm seriously disappointed that I can't rollback and there isn't a fix. :(

I suppose I'll have to change to using iTerm3 to regain a smooth workflow.

Dennis

• Hi @dau,

This is the issue I was referring to. https://github.com/ravenac95/sudolikeaboss/issues/19

Yes, 1Password does make some changes from time to time to strengthen security, performance, and stability of communication with our browser extensions, but you'll see in that discussion that we are providing information for them so they can fix it. While there isn't a fix today, it certainly seems like they are interested in fixing it soon. Going forward, that discussion is likely to be the best place to get updates and I encourage you to check there for updates. The reason we don't recommend it due to forgoing improvements to the software made since then, and there is a bit of work involved to preserve your current data. If it is absolutely critical that you have this functionality restored, please send an email to support+forum@agilebits.com and in the subject place "Rollback to 6.2.1" and ask to roll back to 6.2.1 in the message and place a link to this discussion.

Regards,
    Kevin

• 1TicketTerm
    1TicketTerm
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to pile onto the request queue for this feature. The ability to use 1Password in iTerm is absolutely crucial for my daily workflow.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1TicketTerm ,

Thanks for letting us know that you're interested in something like this! As Rick mentions above, there are some aspects of this that we need to consider thoroughly, but it's great to know that we have users who would find this useful.

• ohog
    ohog
    Community Member
    Options

iTerm integration would be most helpful for my workflow.
    Is there anything on the roadmap?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nothing to announce at this time, as we've got a lot of other projects on our plate. But thanks for letting us know you'd be interested as well!

• Theuni
    Theuni
    Community Member
    Options

Well and here's one more. iterm already has a built-in password manager by now but obviously I'd prefer using 1Password here.

Something that could be helpful in the meantime: could 1password mini be coerced to just type the password wherever my cursor is at right now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Theuni: That isn't possible right now, but it's something we'd like to explore for a future version. Thanks for letting us know what you're looking for!

• jgmayer
    jgmayer
    Community Member
    Options

I am interested on this feature and most people that I know that uses both iterm2 and 1password have the desire... Please make it happen!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your interest! :)

This discussion has been closed.