Chrome extension no longer interfaces properly with Chromium post-6.8 update

I use Chromium, and was presented with the "1Password can't save or fill" issue, which I resolved according to the instructions for Canary/Vivaldi. I am no longer presented with the error message, but now it appears 1Password and Chromium are not talking to each other. Both 1Password Mini and the Chrome extension do not recognize any content within Chromium, and the extension does not allow me to navigate the submenus for entry access (see attached image).

The extension in Safari is working without issue at present, so this appears restricted to (at least) Chromium (official build 61.0.3147 as of this writing).

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    edited July 2017

@himay,

This is unfortunately correct. Chromium isn't code signed and the modern communication pathway in 6.8 requires that binaries its dealing with be codesigned.

See our support doc.

Rudy

• himay
    himay
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@rudy,

So the "Verify browser code signature" option is now unnecessary/moot? Why wasn't that phased out with the 6.8 update then?

Does Google sign their Canary binary now? Or do they miraculously require the code signature omission, but work fine with native messaging?

Operating Chromium with that option unchecked has worked sufficiently until the 6.8 update. Seems like I'll be rolling back to the 6.7.4 (edit: or 6.7.1? Am I hallucinating my previous version?) release in the interim.

• @himay,

The browser code signature bypass will be going away in a future update.

Canary is indeed codesigned and should work fine if you've copied the Native Messaging manifest into its corresponding Native Messaging directory.

Rudy

• himay
    himay
    Community Member

Nevermind. Apparently one cannot roll back, once updated to 6.8. The app complains that the data is from a newer version and I have to update.

Is this true? Am I unable to rollback to even the most recent minor version? That sucks as a way to get locked into an upgrade cycle. Guess I got screwed there…

• @himay,

There were schema changes in the underlying databases in 6.8 that make the database incompatible with the previous point release. If you're really deadset on going back you'll need to move the Data folder aside and restore from the last backup that 1Password saved.

Rudy

• himay
    himay
    Community Member

@rudy,

Unfortunately, yes, I am. Thank you for the details on how to go about doing the rollback.

FWIW, it might be worth mentioning somewhere in the changelog/release notes that the 6.8 update will break integration with unsigned Chromium-based applications (unless that was in some previous release notes I glossed over?), since people were able to manually get by without that until now. Had I seen that in the notes, I wouldn't have updated so soon.

• @himay,

I will pass that along, I know it was in the beta release notes. Its very possible that it didn't make it into the final release notes.

Rudy

• chrisminett
    chrisminett
    Community Member

Hugely disappointing. This makes 1P useless for me at work.

I use Chromium so that I have a separate browser for web development at work - as a second stable Chrome-like browser. Canary always seemed too unreliable being bleeding-edge.

However since updating to 6.8, I do seem to have the extension sometimes work in Chromium. Not sure how to replicate, but sometimes the browser will start with the extension working, sometimes I'll get the view shown by the OP, and sometimes I'll get the 1P warning and the extension icon will go grey.

I hope this means that there might be a way to keep the extension working in Chromium in future!

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Add me to the list of chromium users who are surprised, 1Password no longer works after the 6.8 update. For future releases: it would be super if you could add a warning to the release notes. Breaking users workflows without even warning them is not cool. I guess Chromium was never officially supported in the first place? And then again I couldn't find a list of supported browsers.

• epicoun
    epicoun
    Community Member

yes, hugely disappointing and very annoying. you can add me to that list. using chromium all day.

• Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to forward this to Rudy and the team. It's good to know folks used Chromium, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience in your workflows.

• BertErnste
    BertErnste
    Community Member

Any progress? I am another disgruntled customer with 1Password in Chromium broken.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BertErnste: We don't have immediate plans to facilitate having 1Password send data to unsigned apps via Native Messaging, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate. Check out Jamie's comments here for a more in-depth discussion on this.

• chrisminett
    chrisminett
    Community Member

It may be interesting to those following this thread that I have the 1Password extension working in Chromium, as long as I open and unlock the main 1P app before launching Chromium. Following this order, I don't get any error message about not being able to communicate with the extension and needing to restart the browser, and using keyboard shortcuts to trigger password filling works flawlessly.

Mac App Store version 6.8 (680014)
    Extension version 4.6.9.90
    Browser code signing disabled

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chrisminett,

Sadly the chances are this workaround won't work for long. I hope there will be a way to support a wider selection of browsers but the immediate future will mean Chromium will not be a viable browser with 1Password. Sorry.

• chrisminett
    chrisminett
    Community Member

There may well be. Chrome have just update the Windows version to be able to run different build channels alongside each other. They say this will come to other platforms soon. I don't use Canary as it's too bleeding-edge for my needs, and bugs are a pain. But having another Chrome side-by-side on the dev channel would be a good replacement for Chromium for me:

http://blog.chromium.org/2017/08/run-multiple-versions-of-chrome-side-by.html

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've used a few different Chrome channels alongside each other for years on macOS, but yeah it's been a pain on Windows. Thanks for sharing this!

• stefano.cecere
    stefano.cecere
    Community Member

after so many years i'm forced to find alternatives to 1Password, since i use Chromium, too... :(
    maybe Firefox 57 could save us all :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Looking forward to to the future of Firefox myself. We'd like to find a way to offer more fexliblity in this area in the future, but security has to be a the priority — and anything can connect to 1Password if we allow something unsigned, so opening a door for Chromium with Native Messaging isn't as trivial as it might seem.

This discussion has been closed.