Feature Request for Password Generator recipes

Options
simonf00
simonf00
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Mac

In my work, I often need to manually enter passwords as the PC's I use do not have access to 1Password (e.g. doing a demo/presentation at a client site). As such, for some sites, it's much more convenient for me to use the "Words" password generator as these are easier to type. The current functionality of the Words generator often leaves me having to manually work around some deficiencies. To overcome these, perhaps you would consider the following feature requests for the "words" recipes in the Password Generator:

1) Add option to insert extra types of characters (e.g. number, capital letters - Microsoft sites in particular require a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols).
2) Add max length to password

It would be ideal if the Words password generator could produce something like "b0at-iDol-F1nger" (16 characters max, insert number(s) and/or uppercase letter(s)).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @simonf00,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and request! I found your post in our Mac Beta forum, but it doesn't sound like this is specific to the beta version, so I've moved it to our regular Mac forum. I hope you don't mind!

The 'Characters' option in the password generator is ideal for creating passwords requiring capital letters and numbers, and which may need to be restricted to a certain number of characters. On the other hand, the 'Words' option in the password generator was designed for situations where you need a strong password that is easy to memorize and/or type manually, so it only uses lowercase letters as well as a separator between words. If we added the settings from 'Characters' to 'Words', there wouldn't be much of a difference between those options.

However, in the situation you described, I can definitely see how that would be helpful, so perhaps we'll consider something like that for a future version. For now, keep in mind that you can edit a password in the generator, so you can easily add capital letters and/or numbers to it. (You probably already know about that, and I know it's not the same as having a setting to do that for you automatically, but I wanted to mention it in case it helps.)

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us about that. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• simonf00
    simonf00
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew. I realize that my use case is pretty specific, just thought I'd ask if it could become an option. Thanks again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! And thank you for describing your use case and asking about this - knowing how our customers use 1Password helps us to improve it. We really appreciate your feedback!

We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• haroldh
    haroldh
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to support @simonf00 's plea for more password generation options. The diversity of password rules is immense, so restricting the possible combinations doesn't make sense to me. And why make the distinction between using word and characters? I find the password generator options of 1Password very limited.

Using passwordsgenerator.net as inspiration, why not have these general options for generating a password:
    1. Minimum password length [...]
    2. Maximum password length [...]
    3. Include/Exclude [...] numbers
    4. Include/Exclude [...] symbols
    5. MixEd CasE/ALL CAPITALS/lower case/Title Case/CamelCase
    6. Use [...] words/characters
    7. Separate words with: comma/space/full stop/underscore/hyphen
    8. Maximum number of sequential characters/numbers: [...]
    9. Avoid ambiguous words Yes/No

'[...]' stands for a number that can be chosen by the user.
    '/' stands for a selection (radio button) that can be made by the user.

And as a extra wish, I would like to suggest to introduce the option of saving password scenario's, based on the hostname/url, as the password rules are attached to the hostname/url. This would make changing a password for a certain realm a breeze. As a long time user with more than 1000 passwords and items in my database, I find it something to expect from a first class password manager like 1Password :-) .

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure how we might, if ever, implement these types of options. It might have been a really logical improvement we would have made back in the 1Password 2 and 3 days, where a vast bulk of our users were technically savvy. But over the years, and especially since version 4, 1Password has seen a lot of users coming in that are simply not technical users and we've had to do our best to make 1Password as friendly and straight forward as we can while still providing advanced features and options for those that want more.

The password generator is something we have previously tried to simplify as much as humanly possible for this reason. The more options there are in the password generator the more confusing it is for new users to figure out how to set it up how they wish. And the more checkboxes and sliders and other UI elements we add the more 1Password starts to look like a cluttered mess. Keep in mind that this type of UI has to live both on Mac and iOS, as well as Android and Windows.

We've been toying with the idea of a single slider for complexity and as the slider goes from left to right the password gets more complex as it gets longer. At one point if you slide past the threshold it'll move from one type of password to another. We haven't really found a way to make this work well but it's simply an idea of how we've been trying to look at simplifying 1Password's password manager instead of complicating it further.

The more I think about it the more I feel like some sort of advanced command line password generator might be useful for those who really want to crank up their password generation game. This allows us to keep the UI fairly simple but then expose some other options for users who want something a little more. Any thoughts on that?

• haroldh
    haroldh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @AGKyle , thank you for your elaborate answer.
    It does however miss my point :-)

The point is not that the password generator should be more clumsy and difficult to use. The use case that I have in mind is about being forced to specific password rules by the website that needs a complex password.
    Even though everyone knows that complex passwords are not the way to go (read the interesting blog about the new NIST guidelines here: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/08/18/nists-new-password-rules-what-you-need-to-know/).

The point that I did want to make is that many times you are simply forced to a certain password complexity rule. If the 1Password generator is not able to facilitate the creation of a complying password, then the point of having a password generator at all becomes mute. The technical savvy user will be able to find a suitable password generator somewhere on the web, but the ever growing group of 1Password users that will be in the dark on how to proceed or (worse) end up creating a password like "!Donald1234"

The presentation of the 1Password generator could be layered in such a way that basic usage is simple and uncluttered. I like the idea of the complexity slider very much.
    But when a user needs to comply with certain specific password policies, then a panel could be selectable where more options -like the ones described- would be configurable.
    The ultimate password generator would even create a new password based on both the specific password rules AND on the NIST recommendations.

For inspiration purposes I have looked at how the password generator of Enpass password manager does it. It was the one with the highest customer rating in the Mac AppStore. It works almost like I described. It contains a Recipe button that toggles the complexity of the interface from simple to a richer one with more options. It's a free app, so nothing stops you from having a look :-)
    Just for the record: I have no stock options with Enpass :-)

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@haroldh

I haven't used Enpass, so I can't comment there. My day is simply too busy today to consider looking I'm afraid.

Those recipes I suspect are used rather infrequently so that's kind of a lot of work to create a recipe only to use it once. Most sites have different rules so you'd technically have to create a new recipe for each one.

What I do instead is generate a longer password than they specify. So if they say a length limit of 32 characters I generate 42 or something along those lines. I crank up the digits and symbol options and generate a 42 character long password. Once generated I remove any offending characters they don't like. Note that on Mac at least you can click in the generated password and remove characters, or add your own. It's an editable text field.

Worse can be that sites don't tell you what those forbidden characters are until you've generated a password so that's another problem entirely but one I suspect bites people just as often.

I can't say I like the idea of these recipes though. I feel like it's not a very good experience, not that our current solution is great either but I don't think trading one sub-par experience for another is an acceptable solution here. If we're going to change things it needs to be fundamentally better.

The Password Generator is something that everyone has an opinion on as well. Everyone wants their favorite feature implemented in it and unfortunately that's just a complicated bit of work and the more features we add there the more convoluted the generator gets and the more difficult the underlying code and potential for bugs and issues to arise.

In my theorized command line generator you'd be able to specify your rules pretty easily with the aid of scripts. The script would effectively contain the recipe as the command line tool would basically allow you to set an allowed characters list and a disallowed list along with length requirements and similar options. You'd just run a script with a particular recipe to generate a new one.

This would provide a great deal of control, and bonus points if we could somehow link it up so that a generated password would effectively be available in the app itself after generating. It would give power users the options they want without cluttering the interface for the novices. The more I think about it the more I like it personally but perhaps I'm just a weirdo :)

• haroldh
    haroldh
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, that is a remarkable response time! I appreciate it, @AGKyle

In order to visualize what I have in mind, let me show you some screenshots of the Enpass password generator. The designer has clearly looked at 1Password while creating this app btw.

The first screenshot shows the simple interface:

On the bottom of the panel, you can select the Recipe or History icon.

The second screenshot shows the richer interface, with more recipe options:

As you can see, the recipe options are comparable with the ones described earlier. Even when you would add a few more, I wouldn't worry about clutter too much.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @haroldh

Thanks for the screenshots... aside from some styling differences that looks like someone has simply been photocopying and moving things around. I guess as they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I'll see if I can have a discussion with the rest of our security team sometime in the future about this. No clue if anything will come of it but I don't think we've had much in the way of discussion about this in awhile so maybe there's some grand ideas we haven't discussed yet.

Wish I had more details beyond that and I don't want you to think I'm dismissing your feedback but this is a rather big thing that will require coordination across platforms and all kinds of other stuff. It's a pretty massive thing to change since we try to keep parity on new features between all 4 platforms we support (5 if you count our web client for 1Password.com)

• haroldh
    haroldh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @AGKyle for listening.

The 1Password generator currently doesn't offer a Novice or Advanced interface yet, so there is room for enhancement there.
    I was hoping that you would have baselined the software code for 1Password by now, so that maintaining new features on all supported platforms would be a breeze... ;-) There is always something to wish for.

As a trivial coincidence I found this cartoon that illustrates the user's frustration in order to find the right password. It's in Dutch, but I think you will figure out what the user experience is here :-)

• Ben
    Options

I was hoping that you would have baselined the software code for 1Password by now

It is a goal that we're working toward, and it is becoming more of a reality with 1Password memberships.

As a trivial coincidence I found this cartoon that illustrates the user's frustration in order to find the right password. It's in Dutch, but I think you will figure out what the user experience is here :-)

Ha! Indeed! :chuffed:

Ben

• heyfletch
    heyfletch
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for password recipes.

My suggestion for an advanced option or whatever is the ability to create your own recipe. That may allow users to create their own recipe for their unique use cases like all the different cases mentioned above. (so instead of hard-coding the options mentioned above and trying to satisfy everyone, you let the user create their own).

Example, my use case would be to define a rule like aaaaaZZZZZ$$##### where my recipe says 5 random lowercase letters, 5 uppercase letters, 2 symbols, 5 numbers. I create that rule once in a settings and then just click an option to use it. The 1P password generator could have 3 options: Characters | Words | Advanced

PS, the reason I want my use case is that it satisfies most password rules while makes it easy to type manually when necessary.

• rudy
    Options

@heyfletch,

Thanks, we'll definitely take these thoughts into consideration as we work on the next iteration of the password generator.

Rudy

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on increased flexibility for word password recipes. I imagine something allowing me to select N words, and having it optionally add a configurable number of numbers, symbols, or capital letters, which would allow me to have a memorable password AND have it agree with naive complexity rules. E.g. if I selected something like: words=4, digits=1, symbols=1, capitals=2 it might generate something like "corr2ecthorSebatteRystap$le"

Currently I end up using Diceware to generate this kind of password.

It would also be useful to allow us to configure which symbols are allowed in the password. There are many sites that require a symbol but limit the choices (e.g. they might disallow "@ or ;" or whatever). For example, my work password complexity rules require a symbol from a list of 12 that they provide.

I realize this is not exactly the right forum for this... Thanks!

• rudy
    Options

@alanhoyle,

Thanks for the feedback; we've got a number of ideas for the next iteration of the password generator at this point.

Rudy

• brettdog
    brettdog
    Community Member
    Options

@AGKyle

Thank you for your suggestion on editting the generated password field.
    I too was annoyed when using password generator and the website only allows certain symbols.
    The last site I had to click regenerate 23 times before I got a password that worked.
    Kept getting invalid symbols and when I got a valid one, it was the first character which was invalid.
    With your suggestion, I will leave symbols off and manually type valid symbols into the generated password.

Thanks,
    Brett

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @brettdog. Sorry to hear you had such difficulty getting an acceptable password generated. Glad to hear that Kyle's suggestion will be helpful until/unless we can improve this.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.