Keyboard navigation

Options

Hi .

I love the keyboard navigation aspect of it, someone there must really understand their linux customers.

I have noticed that it works slightly differently to how i intitally expected the navigation to work. Its not bad and now i know how it works, isnt really an issue but I just thought i'd share in case others agreed with me or not.

I use the arrow keys to select the category, then password, then press right to view the details of that password. then Tab to tab past the edit button to the individual fields. at that point i was expecting to use the arrow keys again to navigate between the individual fields, but it turns out i keep pressing the tab key.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.7.5
OS Version: Ubuntu 16.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hey @rs_saunders:

Thanks for joining the alpha crew and taking the time to provide this feedback.

You're correct that currently you can't "arrow over" into the item details and navigate up and down them using your up/down arrows. I'll talk to the team and see if we can improve on this soon. Personally, I'd love to see a fast way to copy a password using the keyboard instead of executing a fill as well. We definitely have a few different places to develop our keyboard navigation further, and you'll see it getting improved in future updates.

Once again, we appreciate the valuable feedback, and please keep it coming!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I am new to Linux and it was here (probably @beyer said it) how Linux users use the keyboard a lot. Once I used the keys in this, I get it :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

We are working on making this easier, but for now, you can add a keyboard shortcut to activate the Chrome extension by clicking the Keyboard shortcuts link at the bottom of the Chrome extensions page.

If you can't find that link (it's in the lower part of the extensions page), instead you can copy and paste the following URL into Chrome chrome://extensions/configureCommands. Unfortunately, CMD/Super + \ isn't allowed so many of us are using CMD/Super + . instead.

Having a keyboard shortcut will allow you to open the Chrome extension quickly, and from there you can use your arrow keys to select the appropriate login to fill.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    Options

@beyer :+1: keep up the good work

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

@rs_saunders: Thank you. On behalf of the whole 1Password team, we certainly will!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• hillaj
    hillaj
    Community Member
    Options

First post here - thanks for your work on this!

My main 1Password workflow on my Mac is Cmd-\, search, left-arrow, Return. That puts the password I want in my clipboard in about 2 seconds. So I'd also love a keyboard shortcut to copy passwords. I found reference to Ctrl+Shift+C, but for me that just opens the Chrome dev tools.

Alex

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @hillaj,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome family! <3

This is a wonderful suggestion! Having a keyboard shortcut to copy the password from an item is super handy. We are working on some of the bigger features we want to add to 1Password for Chrome, but in the near-future, I see no reason not to try and add most of the same keyboard shortcuts we use on 1Password.com.

I'm glad you're finding 1Password for Chrome useful, please let me know if you come across any other great ideas!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• damo
    damo
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the opportunity to experiment with, and provide feedback on the Chrome client.

Just tried out 0.8.0 and it looks great. A couple of quick suggestions, that hopefully aren't too difficult to implement.

1. Add to the settings button (the gear icon), an option to open 1password.com in a new tab - or otherwise somewhere else in the UI. I couldn't find any easily accessible way (via no more than a click or two) to open the full web interface.
    2. [Update: just noticed the explanation above that Ctrl-\ isn't available. This is a shame, but if its unavoidable, then so be it.] Change the default fill keyboard shortcut from Ctrl-. to be Ctrl-\ which is somewhat similar to the Cmd-\ on the Mac. Its a long-term muscle memory thing for me, and I'm sure many other 1password users. I tried to change the default keyboard shortcut within the 0.8.0 settings area in Chrome, but it wouldn't allow me to set it to Ctrl-. After holding Ctrl, the ctrl text comes up in the box, and then pressing the \ key, nothing happens. Not sure if this is a Chrome limitation or not.

I'll keep experimenting and provide further feedback.

Many thanks.

Damo.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @damn,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback here.

We are still tweaking the UI, but I'll certainly keep in mind your request to have an easy way to access your account. We have been trying to make links more meaningful than just a direct link to your account. For example, if you view an item's details and click the edit button, we link (in a new tab) directly to that item (and now also sign in to your account).

As for having Ctrl-\, unfortunately, that's out of our hands for right now. On Mac and Windows, we can detect that keyboard shortcut outside of Chrome (when a 1Password native app is installed) and then direct the extension to activate. Since everything we are currently doing is within Chrome, we need to "play by their rules." And the chrome.commands API only supports the following keys:

A-Z, 0-9, Comma, Period, Home, End, PageUp, PageDown, Space, Insert, Delete, Arrow keys (Up, Down, Left, Right) and the Media Keys (MediaNextTrack, MediaPlayPause, MediaPrevTrack, MediaStop)

I know that's not the best news, but hopefully, you'll still find my response helpful. I look forward to hearing more of your feedback in the future, especially after we make noteworthy changes. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.