Text encoding when exporting entries to files?

Options
pjnagel
pjnagel
Community Member

When using 1Password 6 on Windows to export selected entries to text, what text encoding is used? A fixed encoding, i.e. UTF-8, or whatever default encoding is set on the Windows machine?

Likewise for CSV exports.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at exporting 1Password password for use in other systems (i.e. Ansible vaults), and the text encoding is of course an important aspect of the file format, without which files can not be read reliably in the general case.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pjnagel! 1Password 6 for Windows uses UTF-8 encoding for both CSV and Text outputs when exporting.

Let me know if you need any other details! :chuffed:

• pjnagel
    pjnagel
    Community Member
    Options

Great! The Unicode Gods smile on you. ;)

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Lol, @pjnagel! :lol: We wouldn't want to have it any other way! :+1:

• pjnagel
    pjnagel
    Community Member
    Options

However, a machine-readable export format (i.e JSON) is sorely lacking.

CSV does not preserve all fields, and text does not properly escape multi-line values, or values with embedded '='.

We can work around that by forbidding multiplier comments etc. in the vaults that we need to export for our back-end processes, but it's iffy.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @pjnagel, I can see how JSON would be a useful format to have. I'll pass that along to our Windows development team here for future consideration - cheers! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.